‘Hacking’ report refuted

Updated 22 November 2012
0

‘Hacking’ report refuted

PARIS: The US Embassy in Paris is "categorically refuting" claims in a French magazine report that the US government was behind a hacking attack against computers in the French presidency earlier this year.
The French government also dismissed the report in L'Express magazine.
The report says an attacker in May masquerading as a "false friend" of a presidential palace employee on Facebook duped the employee into giving up an internal passcode, then spread a worm on Elysee Palace computers — including one used by then-President Nicolas Sarkozy's chief-of-staff.



L'Express said the malicious code left a trail. The magazine said several unidentified sources pointed to "France's oldest ally: The United States" as the culprit.
The US Embassy countered yesterday that the report was not based on "proven facts."
FROM: THE ASSOCIATED PRESS


Eritrea responds to Ethiopia PM’s olive branch

Updated 20 June 2018
0

Eritrea responds to Ethiopia PM’s olive branch

  • Eritrea and Ethiopia remain bitter foes after a 1998-2000 conflict that drew comparisons to the First World War
  • Even after the end of the war, the border remains heavily militarised and disputed

ADDIS ABABA: Eritrean President Isaias Afwerki is dispatching a delegation to Addis Ababa for “constructive engagement” with arch-foe Ethiopia after peace overtures this month from its new Prime Minister, Abiy Ahmed, a senior Eritrean diplomat said on Wednesday.
Isais made the annoucement — a potentially significant breakthrough in one of Africa’s most protracted conflicts — earlier on Wednesday, Eritrea’s ambassador to Japan, Estifanos Afeworki, said on Twitter. He gave no further details.
Eritrean information minister Yemane Ghebremeskel did not respond to requests for comment.
Eritrea and Ethiopia remain bitter foes after a 1998-2000 conflict that drew comparisons to the First World War, with waves of conscripts forced to march through minefields toward Eritrean trenches, where they were cut down by machine gun fire.
Casuality figures are disputed in both countries although most estimates suggest 50,000 Ethiopian soldiers died, against 20,000 on the Eritrean side.
Even after the end of the war, the border remains heavily militarised and disputed, most notably the town of Badme which was part of Eritrea, according to a 2002 international arbitration ruling.
Since then, Addis has ignored the ruling and refused to pull out troops or officials, to the fury of Asmara.
However, Abiy, a 41-year-old former soldier who has embarked on a radical economic and political reform drive since taking over in March, stunned Ethiopians this month when he said Addis would honor all the terms of the settlement between the two countries, suggesting he was prepared to cede Badme.
In parliament this week, Abiy also acknoewledged the tensions continued to inflict a heavy economic cost on both countries and said Addis should no longer hide this price tag from the Ethiopian people, another stunning departure with the past.
There has so far been no official response to Abiy’s overtures from Eritrea, one of the Africa’s most closed states.