12 dead as Somalia Al-Shabab attacks town on Kenya border



AGENCE FRANCE PRESSE

Published — Monday 26 November 2012

Last update 26 November 2012 3:00 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

MOGADISHU: Somalia’s Al-Qaeda-linked Al-Shabab fighters briefly took control of a small town on the border with Kenya in a battle that left at least 12 people dead, military officials and witnesses said yesterday.
Heavy fighting broke out late Saturday afternoon in Bulohawo and lasted into the evening, residents and military commanders said, with residents confirming that the Al-Shabab took full control of the town for a few hours before Somali troops were able to reinforce their positions.
“The violent elements attacked Bulohawo in late afternoon and after heavy fighting our forces defeated them and inflicted heavy losses on them,” Diyad Abdi Kalil, a Somali military commander in the area, said by phone.
Casualty estimates varied but most sources agreed that at least a dozen people, most of them fighters for the two sides, had been killed.
“The Shabab attacked the town from three directions and penetrated the barracks of the Somali troops after heavy fighting. They briefly took control of the town but were later forced back. Twelve people, most of them the fighters from the two sides, died,” said resident Sadik Mohamed.
Another resident, Hussein Mahat Abdulle, confirmed he had seen bodies in government uniform as well as bodies of what looked like Shebab fighters.
Kalil said his men had killed “nearly 20” Shabab, but a spokesman for the Islamists dismissed that claim and said his men had killed 15 Somali government troops.
“Today was a victorious day for the mujahedeen fighters who carried out several military operations, the main attack was against the apostate militants helping the infidels at Bulohawo,” said Shebab spokesman Sheik Abdiasis Abu Mus’ab.
“The Mujahedeen fighters penetrated their defenses and took control of the city for many hours. Around 15 of the apostate militia were killed,” he said, referring to the Somali government troops fighting alongside regional armies to overcome the Shebab.
Bulohawo, which lies just across the border from the town of Mandera in the extreme northeast of Kenya, has been calm so far Sunday, residents said.
Officials said two civilians in Mandera town had been hit by gunfire during the fighting.
Mandera County Commissioner Michael Ole Tialal said that civilians and Somali troops had fled briefly across the border to escape the fighting.
“Many civilians and Somali soldiers crossed to border point one in Mandera,” he said by phone. “Once the fighting subsided and the attackers were repulsed many crossed back over,” he said.
Around 10 civilians injured in the fighting were also evacuated across the border to Mandera for medical treatment, according to residents on the Kenyan side.
The attack appeared to have come as a surprise, with the Shabab having been forced out of their major strongholds by troops from the African Union force AMISOM over the past months.
The Shebab have been blamed for a series of cross-border raids into northeastern Kenya since Nairobi’s troops invaded southern Somalia last year to chase out the Islamist fighters.
Earlier this month Somalia put in place a new government set up in a United Nations-backed process, which it is hoped will give the war-torn country its first effective central government since president Mohamed Siad Barre was ousted in 1991, unleashing cycles of bloody conflict that have defied countless peace initiatives.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

MAKKAH: Low-cost Haj packages are no longer available as the registration process has been completed.Announcing it, Abdulrahman bin Ali Al-Nafei, assistant deputy minister of Haj, said domestic Haj operators have completed registering names of pilgri...
JEDDAH: An African expat woman is being investigated for torturing her baby to death by pouring boiling water on her. The motive behind the vicious attack is unknown.The Board of Investigation and Prosecution in Jeddah has charged the woman with semi...
RIYADH: Over five million Overseas Filipinos Workers (OFWs), including more than one million in Saudi Arabia, observed “zero remittance day” on Friday, in protest against the random checking of boxes sent by them to their families back home by the Cu...
JEDDAH: Security authorities have arrested 45 people from different parts of the Kingdom for Daesh links in the past 10 days. Forty of the suspects, accused of terrorism, are Saudis. Others are 2 Yemenis, an Egyptian, a Palestinian, and a national of...
RIYADH: The Ministry of Health announced on Friday that two more people were infected with the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus. While no deaths were announced, the virus has already killed 26 people in just two weeks, from Aug. 16...
RIYADH: The government and courts have issued 35,010 penalties against citizens and expatriates for violating the country’s residency laws including fines and jail terms.Citizens and expatriates across the Kingdom were penalized for transporting, har...

Stay Connected

Facebook