18 migrants die after boat sinks off Greece



Agence France Presse

Published — Saturday 15 December 2012

Last update 15 December 2012 10:17 pm

| نسخة PDF Send to Friend Print News | A A

ATHENS: Eighteen migrants have died and nine are missing after their makeshift boat sank off the coast of Greece in the Aegean Sea, police said yesterday.
“Only one person was plucked out of the water and hospitalized,” a ports police spokeswoman told AFP, saying 18 other bodies had been found so far — most on a beach near the town of Mytilene on the island of Lesbos.
The lone survivor rescued so far, a 20-year-old man who had been taken to hospital in Mytilene, told authorities the boat was carrying 28 people, including children.
Three port police boats resumed the search on Saturday in the hope of finding more survivors.
The victims set sail from the western coast of Turkey on Thursday but ran into bad weather that sank their boat, ports police said.
Authorities have not yet released the victims’ nationalities.
The island is one of several in the eastern Aegean sea that lie near the Turkish coast and are frequent targets for migrants trying to reach western Europe.
Migrants often perish trying to make the crossing in makeshift boats, particularly in winter.

Events & Exhibitions

Stay Connected

Facebook