18 migrants die after boat sinks off Greece: police



Agence France Presse

Published — Saturday 15 December 2012

Last update 15 December 2012 9:00 pm

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

ATHENS: Eighteen migrants have died and nine are missing after their makeshift boat sank off the coast of Greece in the Aegean Sea, police said on Saturday.
“Only one person was plucked out of the water and hospitalized,” a ports police spokeswoman told AFP, saying 18 other bodies had been found so far — most on a beach near the town of Mytilene on the island of Lesbos.
The lone survivor rescued so far, a 20-year-old man who had been taken to hospital in Mytilene, told authorities the boat was carrying 28 people, including children.
Three port police boats resumed the search on Saturday in the hope of finding more survivors.
The victims set sail from the western coast of Turkey on Thursday but ran into bad weather that sank their boat, ports police said.
Authorities have not yet released the victims’ nationalities.
The island is one of several in the eastern Aegean sea that lie near the Turkish coast and are frequent targets for migrants trying to reach western Europe.
Migrants often perish trying to make the crossing in makeshift boats, particularly in winter.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: Jeddah police have closed all entry points into Makkah to prevent undocumented pilgrims from entering the holy city during this year’s Haj, in a bid to prevent overcrowding that could lead to health and safety problems.Officials have taken ac...
RIYADH: Commerce and Industry Minister Tawfiq Al-Rabiah urged the public and public sectors to create a conducive environment for young men and women to offer them career opportunities and also make them successful entrepreneurs in the Kingdom.He was...
RIYADH: In view of the increasing incidence of MERS in the capital, the Directorate General’s Office of Health Affairs in the Eastern Province has unveiled a set of preventive measures to combat Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus in...
JEDDAH: The Bureau of Investigation and Public Prosecution recently charged three young men in the harassment case at the Jeddah corniche. A number of young men were arrested for harassing two Saudi girls at the corniche a day after Eid Al-Fitr.A vi...
JEDDAH: A total of 232 people injured in Sunday’s Aramco compound fire in Alkhobar have been discharged from hospitals here, the Eastern Province Health Department announced on Tuesday.Fifty-seven are still receiving treatment at four hospitals, with...
RIYADH: The Directorate of Education in Riyadh is keeping a close watch on schools, such as sanctioning health material and monitoring the health of staff and students, to prevent the spread of the MERS coronavirus among students. As a step in this...

Stay Connected

Facebook