23 saved, 50 missing in Bangladesh boat accident

Updated 07 November 2012
0

23 saved, 50 missing in Bangladesh boat accident

TEKNAF, Bangladesh: Authorities say 23 people have been rescued after an overcrowded boat capsized off the Bangladesh coast, but about 50 others are missing.
The boat was reportedly carrying about 70 illegal migrants, mostly Rohingya Muslims, to Malaysia when it sank in the Bay of Bengal early Wednesday.
Border commander Lt. Col. Zahid Hossain says no bodies have been recovered so far.
He quoted several survivors as saying they saw some bodies after the boat sank off Bangladesh’s Teknaf coast, 320 kilometers (200 miles) south of the capital Dhaka.
Another coast guard official Lt. Badruddoza says survivors said they were traveling to look for jobs in Malaysia.
No other details were immediately available.
The latest tragedy comes after a boat carrying some 135 passengers, mostly Muslim Rohingya refugees who had fled unrest in neighboring Myanmar, sank in the Bay of Bengal on October 28. Only around half a dozen made it to safety.
Hundreds of thousands of Muslim Rohingya have fled Myanmar in past decades to escape persecution, often heading to neighboring Bangladesh, and recent unrest has triggered another exodus.
Since the unrest erupted, Bangladesh has been turning away boatloads of fleeing Rohingya. The policy has been criticized by the United Nations but Bangladesh said it was already burdened with an estimated 300,000 Rohingya.
Myanmar’s 800,000 stateless Rohingya, described by the United Nations as among the world’s most persecuted minorities, are seen by the government and many Burmese as illegal immigrants from Bangladesh.


EU and US police cripple Daesh media mouthpieces

Updated 4 min 52 sec ago
0

EU and US police cripple Daesh media mouthpieces

THE HAGUE: EU and US police forces have crippled the main mouthpieces of the Daesh militant group in a coordinated transatlantic takedown across several countries, the European police agency said Friday.
“With this ground-breaking operation we have punched a big hole in the capability of Daesh to spread propaganda online and radicalize young people in Europe,” the head of Europol Rob Wainwright said.
The two-day operation on Wednesday and Thursday was the latest stage of a campaign first launched in 2015, and targeted in particular the Amaq news agency used by Daesh to broadcast claims of attacks and spread its message of jihad.
“With this takedown action, targeting major Daesh-branded media outlets like Amaq, but also Al-Bayan radio, Halumu and Nashir news, Daesh’s capability to broadcast and publicize terrorist material has been compromised,” Europol said in a statement.
The “simultaneous multinational takedown” was coordinated via Europol’s headquarters in The Hague with the support of Eurojust, the EU agency for judicial cooperation in criminal matters.
It was led by the Belgian federal prosecutor, while national police forces seized servers in the Netherlands, Canada and the United States as well as digital material in Bulgaria, France and Romania.
Britain’s Counter Terrorism Internet Referral Unit was also involved in identifying “top-level domain registrars abused by IS,” Europol said.
Europol began warning about the rise of Amaq in late 2015, stressing “the technical resilience of the terrorist online infrastructure.”
“Since then law enforcement agencies have, in a continuous joint effort, taken down the web assets of the media outlet,” it said.
Daesh used Amaq in 2016 to claim attacks all over the world and the Middle East, including the deadly assaults in Paris, Brussels, Barcelona and Berlin.
It also used Amaq to claim the March supermarket siege in Trebes, France where a 25-year-old gunman killed four people, including a policeman who took the place of a hostage.