33 dead in Sudan bus collision: police

Updated 20 December 2012
0

33 dead in Sudan bus collision: police

KHARTOUM: Thirty-three people were killed and 24 injured when two inter-city buses collided in Sudan late Wednesday, in one of the country’s worst road accidents in years, police said.
The crash between a full-sized passenger bus and a minibus occurred near the small community of El Kamlien, about halfway between Khartoum and Wad Medani.
“The minibus tried to overtake another vehicle and then collided with the bus,” which was traveling in the opposite direction, a police statement said.
Deadly road accidents, often involving buses, are relatively common in Sudan, where driving skills are poor.
The latest follows complaints by city bus drivers in Khartoum that Sudan’s surging inflation and sinking currency have driven maintenance costs out of control.
In October, 13 people died and 26 were injured when a passenger bus blew a tire and collided with a minibus on the road to Wad Medani southeast of the capital, official media reported at the time.
Twenty-one people died in April 2009 when a bus and a truck collided south of Khartoum.


Dozens of bodies found in Raqqa mass grave

Updated 17 min 2 sec ago
0

Dozens of bodies found in Raqqa mass grave

  • Raqqa was the de facto “capital” of the Daesh group in northern Syria until the terror group was ousted by the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces in October 2017
  • Daesh has been held responsible for multiple atrocities during its reign of terror, including mass executions and decapitations

QAMISHLI, Syria: Dozens of bodies, including those of jihadists and civilians, have been found in a mass grave in the former Daesh group stronghold of Raqqa in Syria, a local official said on Saturday.
The former de facto “capital” of the group in northern Syria, Raqqa saw the jihadists ousted by the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces in October 2017.
Nearly 50 bodies had already been recovered from the mass grave, which could contain up to 200 bodies, Abdallah Al-Eriane, a senior official with Raqqa Civil Council now running the city, said,
The mass grave was located under a football pitch, close to a hospital where the jihadists had dug in before being chased out of the city.
“It was apparently the only place available for burials, which were done in haste. The jihadists were holed up in the hospital,” the official said, adding that some bodies were marked with the nom de guerre of the jihadist while civilians just had first names.
In recent months, both Syria and Iraq have discovered mass graves in areas previously occupied by the jihadists.
Syrian troops uncovered a mass grave containing the remains of more than 30 people killed by Daesh in Raqqa province in February.
It followed two other similar finds by the Syrian army.
The Daesh group, which proclaimed a “caliphate” over swathes of Syria and Iraq in 2014, has now lost almost all the land it once controlled.
It has been held responsible for multiple atrocities during its reign of terror, including mass executions and decapitations.