49ers’ Goldson earning new label for hard hits

Updated 21 December 2012
0

49ers’ Goldson earning new label for hard hits

SANTA CLARA, California: Dashon Goldson has a stack of envelopes in his locker, the paperwork for every time the NFL has fined the San Francisco 49ers safety.
While he has heard from the league office more than a dozen times in his six-year career, the letters often had little to do with his hard-hitting ways until this season.
Goldson estimates he has been fined $70,000 for socks, pants and other uniform violations — about $5,000 for each offense. He said his latest letter from the NFL, however, notified him of a $21,000 fine for an illegal hit last Sunday on New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, which Goldson plans to appeal.
All the crackdowns have earned the 49ers’ franchise-tagged player a new league label: Multiple offender. The Hawk, as teammates call Goldson for swooping in for hits on receivers, said the fines still won’t change the way he plays when the 49ers face the Seattle Seahawks tomorrow with a chance to clinch the NFC West title.
“I don’t have time to sit there and dictate in the timespan I have as a football player when I’m on the football field to dictate what’s a clean and what’s a not-so-clean hit,” Goldson said. “I’m not a dirty player. And that’s just that.” Goldson, playing on a one-year contract of $6.2 million, has had multiple fines for his play. Among them: — $7,875 for a late hit on sliding St. Louis quarterback Sam Bradford on Dec. 2.
— $7,875 for taunting — unsportsmanlike conduct — after tackling Seattle running back Marshawn Lynch in October.
— $25,000 for punching Arizona receiver Early Doucet in November 2011 (Doucet was fined $10,000 for unnecessary roughness for striking Goldson in the helmet area).
— $5,000 for a late hit on Oakland receiver Louis Murphy in October 2010.
In his latest offense, officials whistled Goldson for a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after he barreled into Hernandez as the tight end was still in the air and turning to make a catch in the third quarter of San Francisco’s 41-34 victory in Foxborough. Goldson put his feet together, spread his arms out wide and looked to the sky in a celebration that is becoming routine in San Francisco’s secondary.
Niners defensive coordinator Vic Fangio disagreed with the call, but he understands that it’s part of the NFL’s safety-first approach to protect defenseless receivers.
“He wrapped the guy up, hit him right here in the chest area,” Fangio said. “I think what’s happened, if it looks bad, the league has told officials to err on the side of caution.” The violent collisions are a staple of San Francisco’s defense.
Goldson believes the style is a big reason why the 49ers are tied with the Seahawks for the best scoring defense in the league, allowing only 15.6 points per game. On the next play against the Patriots, for instance, Hernandez looked timid and had a pass from Tom Brady pop off his hands that Aldon Smith scooped up for an interception.
“Hits like that get wide receivers the short hands,” Goldson said. “It’s been proven throughout this league for years, and it’s been proven since me and Donte (Whitner) have been back there making hits and our whole defense.” Goldson has three interceptions this season after six last year — he had five in his four seasons combined. Others also have taken notice.





Seahawks coach Pete Carroll praised the physicality of San Francisco’s secondary this week. Looking back at the 49ers’ 13-6 victory over Seattle at Candlestick Park in Week 7, Carroll said rookie quarterback Russell Wilson will have to be aware of Goldson and Whitner if they want a different result the second time around.
“Their safeties are ridiculous,” Carroll said.
The only concern Goldson has about his rising reputation is that he could face a possible suspension if he’s flagged for enough hits. While he wants players to be intimidated by his presence, he said he’s not trying to hurt anybody and practices proper techniques. He also doesn’t want to be known as the league’s hardest hitter.
“I just want to be known,” Goldson said, “as a good football player.”


Saudi Arabian football clubs helped with debts by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman

Updated 22 May 2018
0

Saudi Arabian football clubs helped with debts by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman

  • Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman will cover all external debts owed by Saudi Professional League clubs
  • Crown Prince will provide 1,277,000,000 Saudi riyals (around $340 million)

RIYADH: The General Sports Authority and Saudi Arabia Football Federation (SAFF) have announced that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman will cover all external debts owed by Saudi Professional League clubs.
According to reports, the Crown Prince will provide 1,277,000,000 Saudi riyals (around $340 million) that will not only clear monies owed but also enable clubs to invest ahead of the 2018-19 season.
The issue of debt had become a major issue in the country’s football scene.
“Some Saudi Arabian clubs are currently experiencing financial problems that require immediate and urgent intervention,” the General Sports Authority, which oversees Saudi Arabian sport, said in a statement released on social media.
The body noted that there are a total of 107 cases under appeal at world governing body FIFA regarding unpaid salaries in Saudi Arabia.
“Failure to intervene urgently to rescue clubs may result in damage to the reputation of the Kingdom in general and Saudi Arabian sport in particular,” added the GSA.
“Some Saudi Arabian clubs may face severe disciplinary sanctions because of the failure to meet financial obligations such as the
denial of the registration of players in general or the deduction of points.”
Unpaid salaries were also a factor in Al-Ittihad and Al-Nassr being unable to appear in this year’s AFC Champions League after they were denied AFC club licenses.
Al-Ittihad were the club with the highest debt of 309 million riyals ($82 million) and welcomed the news.
“We are delighted by the generous initiative of His Royal Highness,” Al-Ittihad president Nawaf Al-Muqairn said in an official statement released by the two-time Asian champions.
“This contributes to creating solid ground for all clubs to move toward achieving their goals.”
Legendary Saudi striker Sami Al-Jaber, recently appointed president of champions Al-Hilal, announced his gratitude on social media.
“Great thanks to His Highness the Crown Prince for the great support that the clubs have enjoyed which enables sport in our country to keep pace with the aspirations of our leadership,” Al-Jaber wrote.
The Crown Prince’s move followed the SAFF announcing a new raft of regulations in April that will come into effect next season and are designed to take the league forward. These included restricting club spending on transfers and salaries to 70 percent of revenue. The size of first-team squads has been reduced from 33 to 28, of which five must be homegrown players of 23 or younger.