Abu Qatada wins appeal against deportation
Abu Qatada wins appeal against deportation
Britain’s government has been attempting to expel radical preacher Abu Qatada since 2001, and immediately said it intended to mount an appeal against its latest setback at the country’s courts.
Abu Qatada has previously been convicted in his absence in Jordan of terrorist offenses related to two alleged bomb plots in 1999 and 2000, and he will face a retrial if deported there from Britain.
Though the government insisted it had won assurances from Jordan over how Abu Qatada’s case would be handled — including from Jordan’s King Abdullah II, who met with Cameron last week — judges said there was a real risk that evidence obtained through torture would be used against the cleric.
In a ruling, Britain’s Special Immigration Appeals Commission, which handles major terrorism and deportation cases, said it is not convinced that Jordan would guarantee Aby Qatada a fair trial.
It endorsed the January ruling of the European Court of Human Rights, which said that “not only is torture widespread in Jordan, so too is the use of torture evidence by its courts.”
Britain’s Home Office said it would challenge the decision at the Court of Appeal, and insisted it would oppose attempts by Abu Qatada’s lawyers to have him released from prison on bail.
“The government strongly disagrees with this ruling,” the ministry said. Home Secretary Theresa May was scheduled to address lawmakers on the issue later Monday.
Abu Qatada, a Palestinian-born Jordanian cleric whose real name is Omar Mahmoud Mohammed Othman, poses “an enormous risk to national security,” government lawyer Robin Tam told Monday’s hearing.
Prosecutors in British and Spanish courts have previously described Abu Qatada as a senior Al-Qaeda figure in Europe who had close ties to the late Osama Bin Laden.
British government lawyers have previously accused him of links with Zacarias Moussaoui, the only person charged in the United States over the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, and with shoebomber Richard Reid. Audio recordings of some of the cleric’s sermons were found in a flat in Hamburg, Germany, used by some of the Sept. 11 hijackers.
Authorities first attempted to deport him in 2001, and then detained him in 2002 under anti-terrorism laws which at the time allowed suspected terrorists to be jailed without charge. Though he was released in 2005 when the unpopular law was overturned, the cleric was kept under surveillance and arrested again within months to be held in custody pending his deportation to Jordan.
Two suicide bombers kill three in north Nigeria mosque
KANO: Two suicide bombers killed three Muslim worshippers in a mosque in a northeast Nigerian town still being rebuilt after virtual destruction by Boko Haram in 2014, sources told AFP Sunday.
The bombers, a man and a woman, detonated their explosives inside the mosque during morning prayers on Saturday in the town of Bama in Borno state.
The pair "blew themselves up in a mosque while people were praying, killing three people," said Baba Shehu Gulumba, Bama local government chairman.
A senior military officer in Bama confirmed the death toll, adding that nine people were also injured.
"Some of the injured are in a critical condition and may hardly make it. They have been transferred to Maiduguri for better medical care," said the military officer, who asked not to be named.
The attack came two weeks after residents began returning to the town which was destroyed by Boko Haram four years ago.
Bama, a major trading hub on the road to Cameroon and home to 270,000 people, was captured in September 2014, forcing residents to flee to Maiduguri, the state capital.
When it was retaken by the Nigerian military in March 2015, 85 percent of the town had been demolished by the jihadists.
Borno state officials said it would require 40 billion naira (94 million euros, $111 million) to rebuild the town, a staggering amount in the impoverished region.
According to officials 11,000 homes had been rebuilt which residents said represent one-third of those destroyed.
On April 5 the state's information commissioner Mohammed Bulama said 1,200 people had returned to the town in a phased resettlement of the 100,000 displaced residents living in camps in Maiduguri.
Boko Haram has been notorious for suicide attacks on civilian and military targets in response to army offensives that have put pressure on the militant group.
Recent days have seen a lull in such attacks.
However on Friday 10 people including four militia fighting the militants were injured when two female suicide bombers attacked Amarwa village in Konduga district, 38 kilometres from Maiduguri, according to militia sources.