Afghan father shoots daughters in ‘honor’ killing

Updated 22 July 2012
0

Afghan father shoots daughters in ‘honor’ killing

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan: An Afghan man killed his two teenage daughters when they returned home four days after running away with a man in a southern village, police said Sunday.
The father, who shot the girls, has been detained on murder charges in Nad Ali district in the southern province of Helmand, a hotbed of the Taleban insurgency, provincial police spokesman Farid Ahmad Farhang told AFP.
“He killed two of his daughters. His daughters had run away with a young man four days ago. When they returned home their father killed them,” Farhang said.
Police have issued an arrest warrant for the young man, who is said to be working as an interpreter with NATO forces in the southern province, Farhang said.
Relations between men and women outside marriage are strictly controlled under Islam and infringements are harshly punished by most families in the troubled Central Asian nation.
So-called “honor killing” is a common practice in Afghanistan, an ultra-conservative Islamic nation which has been at war for most of the past three decades.
The Taleban, an Islamic insurgent group waging war against the Western-backed government of President Hamid Karzai, recently publicly executed a young woman in a village near Kabul after she was accused of adultery.
The execution was widely condemned internationally after a shocking video of the killing surfaced in Afghan media. It showed a crowd cheering as a man shot the woman with a rifle.


Philippine troops clash with remnants of defeated extremist group

Updated 31 min 40 sec ago
0

Philippine troops clash with remnants of defeated extremist group

  • The military was targetting Abu Dar, who the government believes is the new “emir” of Daesh in Southeast Asia
  • Daesh-inspired militants seized parts of the southern city of Marawi in May 2017, raising concerns about the influence of the extremist group in Southeast Asia

MANILA: Philippine troops have clashed with remnants of a pro-Daesh group that held a southern city for five months last year, the army said on Monday.
Col. Romeo Brawner, the deputy commander of Joint Task Force Marawi, said security forces conducted air and ground assaults in the province of Lanao del Sur on Sunday in a bid to flush out Maute rebels and the group’s new leader.
Brawner said he could not confirm if there had been any casualties in military operations in two towns near Marawi City, which is now undergoing rehabilitation with some residents returning to their homes.
The military was targetting Abu Dar, who the government believes is the new “emir” of Daesh in Southeast Asia, Brawner said. It could not be independently verified if the Daesh has chosen Dar as its new leader in the region.
Daesh-inspired militants seized parts of the southern city of Marawi in May 2017, raising concerns about the influence of the extremist group in Southeast Asia.
The army ended combat operations after wresting control in southern Marawi in October, and has shifted its focus to the island’s marshes where other pro-Daesh militants operate.
The siege of Marawi, the country’s biggest battle since World War Two, displaced some 350,000 residents and more than 1,100 people were killed, mostly militants.
Military and security experts have said militants who escaped from Marawi are recruiting fighters using looted cash, gold and jewelry worth tens of millions of dollars.