Afghan peace process not yet begun: US



AGENCE FRANCE PRESSE

Published — Friday 18 January 2013

Last update 18 January 2013 4:25 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

KABUL: A real peace process in Afghanistan has not begun and the United States does not know what has happened to Taleban prisoners released by Pakistan, the US ambassador to Kabul said yesterday.
Pakistan said 26 prisoners were freed late last year in a bid to kick-start peace talks ahead of the withdrawal of US-led NATO troops from Afghanistan, whose government is under pressure from an 11-year Taleban insurgency.
“We don’t know, frankly, what has happened to the people that the Pakistanis have released,” Ambassador James Cunningham told a news briefing.
“We would have preferred to have greater visibility into that, but still it’s positive that they were released, I think, from the Afghan point of view.”
With the control of prisoners in Afghanistan a major issue between the US and the government of President Hamid Karzai, Cunningham said some freed prisoners had returned to Taleban ranks in senior positions in the past.
A peace process “hasn’t even really begun,” he said.
“Our goal is the beginning, if not the conclusion of, a serious process on peace and reconciliation as soon as possible — but so far it hasn’t proven possible... to get that going,” he said.
Washington began tentative moves towards peace with the Taleban a year ago. But they broke off the talks a few months later, apparently over the failure of the US to free Taleban prisoners held at Guantanamo Bay.
Now the US is negotiating its exit from its longest war, pledging continued support for the Afghan government against an undefeated insurgency.
But details of US involvement after NATO combat troops withdraw in 2014 remain vague and subject to a security agreement still under negotiation.
It had been expected that a residual force of up to 20,000 troops would remain behind to help counter the Taleban, who were ousted in 2001 for harboring Al-Qaeda leader, Osama bin Laden.
Now US officials have suggested as few as 3,000 troops may remain behind, raising questions about what effect they could have in a country which many predict will plunge back into civil war.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: Jeddah police have closed all entry points into Makkah to prevent undocumented pilgrims from entering the holy city during this year’s Haj, in a bid to prevent overcrowding that could lead to health and safety problems.Officials have taken ac...
JEDDAH: The Bureau of Investigation and Public Prosecution recently charged three young men in the harassment case at the Jeddah corniche. A number of young men were arrested for harassing two Saudi girls at the corniche a day after Eid Al-Fitr.A vi...
JEDDAH: A total of 232 people injured in Sunday’s Aramco compound fire in Alkhobar have been discharged from hospitals here, the Eastern Province Health Department announced on Tuesday.Fifty-seven are still receiving treatment at four hospitals, with...
RIYADH: The Directorate of Education in Riyadh is keeping a close watch on schools, such as sanctioning health material and monitoring the health of staff and students, to prevent the spread of the MERS coronavirus among students. As a step in this...
RIYADH: The Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs has announced new legislation for the Dec. 12 elections, including fines and imprisonment for failure to disclose candidate financing, obstructing procedures or officials, and fraudulent activity.Vi...
JEDDAH: The low turnout of Saudis registering for the municipal elections is likely caused by the poor performance of previous councils, lack of a voting culture, inadequate understanding of the duties of councils, and the timing of the elections wit...

Stay Connected

Facebook