Ankara agrees on a peace plan with Kurdish rebels



Agence France Presse

Published — Thursday 10 January 2013

Last update 10 January 2013 12:44 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

ANKARA: The Turkish government and jailed Kurdish rebel leader Abdullah Ocalan have agreed on a road map to end a three-decade-old insurgency that has claimed tens of thousands of lives, media reported yesterday.
The deal was reached during a new round of talks between Ankara and Ocalan and aims to have the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) lay down arms in March, a private news network reported.
Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s government recently revealed that Turkish intelligence services had for weeks been talking to Ocalan, who has been held on the island prison of Imrali south of Istanbul since his capture in 1999.
During a visit to Niger yesterday, Erdogan warned the government would uphold its tough line on the PKK: “I repeat again, our fight with the terrorist organization will continue.”
“Terrorist organization ranks need to lay down weapons and withdraw from Turkey,” before further steps can be discussed, he said.
Under the reported peace roadmap, the government would be expected to reward a ceasefire by granting wider rights to Turkey’s Kurdish minority, whose population is estimated at up to 15 million in the 75-million nation, according to unofficial figures.
The rebels also want the release of hundreds of Kurdish activists held in prisons over links to the PKK as well as the recognition of Kurdish identity in Turkey’s new constitution, according to media sources.
But Turkey’s pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) warned the talks were not at the stage of fully-fledged ceasefire negotiations, arguing Ocalan would have to be freed first and given a chance to consult the grassroots.
“The conditions between the parties are just not equal,” BDP co-chair Selahattin Demirtas told fellow lawmakers on Tuesday. “And by that, no, I do not mean Erdogan going into Imrali,” he said.
Officials have not confirmed the roadmap published in the media.
Hopes of a breakthrough on the Kurdish issue were heightened when two Kurdish lawmakers were allowed to visit Ocalan last week for the first time.
But the resumption of Kurdish rebel attacks against Turkish security forces since then have overshadowed the developments.
On Monday, one soldier and 14 rebels were killed in southeastern Hakkari city near the border with Iraq, raising fears that more attacks may come from hawkish rebel wings to disrupt the process.
“The terrorists have always done their best to sabotage any step initiated for peace,” Erdogan said regarding Monday’s attack.
Around 45,000 people are believed to have been killed in the fighting between Turkish security forces and the rebels.
PKK took up arms in 1984 under Ocalan’s command, to obtain self-rule in the Kurdish-majority southeast.
Previous talks floundered after the PKK leadership demanded the release of Ocalan.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: Labor Minister Mufrej Al-Haqabani has launched a series of electronic projects and facilities provided to the private sector companies, the SPA reported on Sunday.The projects and facilities include electronic visa issuance for the distinguis...
RIYADH: A high-powered team of officials from the Ministry of Health visited the hospitals in Jazan in the southern border to ensure services are in place to serve the patients in the region.The group of officials, comprising Dr. Nahar Al-Azmi, Dr. T...
YANBU: Like many Saudi women, Amani dreamt of becoming a mother, but was unable to have children of her own after many years of marriage. Therefore, she decided to spend her time taking care of orphans with special circumstances in Makkah.However, th...
RIYADH: A total of 43 warehouses were shut down in Jeddah for failing to take safety and health measures.Officials of the general department of Civil Defense in Jeddah carried out inspection at 165 industrial complexes in the industrial zone recently...
JEDDAH: A quarrel between two girls at the Al-Zahour Orphanage in Makkah took a violent turn recently, with one of them reportedly using a sharp instrument to attack the other and injuring her.The attacker was sent to a correction center, while the i...
RIYADH: A woman and three men died on Sunday after contracting the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) in Riyadh, bringing the total number of deaths to 507 since June, 2012.According to the latest report issued by the Ministry of...

Stay Connected

Facebook