Italian police recover Roman statue stolen from Pompeii



Reuters

Published — Thursday 18 October 2012

Last update 18 October 2012 3:34 pm

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

ROME: The head of an ancient Roman statue that could be of the mother of Emperor Nero has been recovered after being missing for decades, Italian police said on Thursday.
The funerary piece was stolen between 25 and 30 years ago from Pompeii, a Roman town that was buried by a volcanic eruption in AD 79 and is now one of Italy’s most famous ancient sites.
“It is impossible to estimate its value in monetary terms, but it is of notable cultural and historical interest,” Captain Rocco Papaleo, who led the investigation told Reuters.
The statue dates from between 100 BC and AD 50 when Rome was at its most powerful as the capital of a world empire and was found after an investigation into the art market by the military police of Piacenza in northern Italy.
The Department of Culture and Archaeology in Parma have judged it to be of “enormous interest” and likely to be of Agrippina the Younger, according to police, who said they did not know the whereabouts of the body of the statue.
The Roman empress was one of the most prominent women of her time and the mother of Nero, an emperor famed for brutality. Some historical accounts say that Nero had his powerful mother killed.
Police said the terracotta head had been hidden for years by a dentist in Parma, w ho had tried to sell it but couldn’t because it was too conspicuous as a stolen work.
The head was recovered after the 62-year-old tried to sell it through an antiques dealer from Piacenza aged 36, who accidentally alerted police as he tried to find a buyer. Both are now charged with receipt and possession of archaeological goods.
Italy has long struggled to protect its wealth of archaeological sites from opportunistic thieves and amateur tomb raiders called ‘tombaroli’, who feed a vast international market in looted artefacts estimated by the US Federal Bureau of Investigation to cost $6 billion in losses each year.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: The government has banned the use of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) for cooking at the holy sites during the Haj this year. Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Mohammed bin Naif, interior minister and president of the Supreme Haj Committee,...
RIYADH: The government plans to pay SR500,000 in compensation to the family of every person, regardless of nationality, who died from the deadly Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus in the Kingdom, the Ministry of Health announced on T...
RIYADH: The Ministry of Health has launched a program to vaccinate all public and private sector workers on Haj duty this year.Launching the program at the ministry’s headquarters here on Thursday, Tarif Al-Ama, undersecretary for treatment services...
JEDDAH: Makkah Gov. Prince Khaled Al-Faisal was briefed Thursday about Murooj Jeddah residential project, located in the eastern part of the governorate. Representatives of the Jeddah Development and Urban Regeneration Company, the executing company...
ANKARA: The Kingdom plans to highlight the country’s economic progress and influence globally at the meeting of G-20 Ministers of Labor and Employment here this week, said Mufrej Al-Haqabani, Saudi Arabia’s labor minister. In a statement to the Saudi...
JEDDAH: The Ministry of Haj in Madinah has employed women workers for the first time.Six women have been employed to work only during the Haj season, on the orders of Bandar Hajjar, the Haj minister, said Mohammed Al-Bijawi, director of the ministry...

Stay Connected

Facebook