Bosnian gets 18-year jail for US Embassy attack



AGENCE FRANCE PRESSE

Published — Friday 7 December 2012

Last update 7 December 2012 1:18 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

SARAJEVO: A Bosnian court sentenced yesterday a militant who opened fire at the US Embassy in Sarajevo last year to 18 years in prison.
“Mevlid Jasarevic committed a terrorist act by shooting 105 bullets over 50 minutes towards the American embassy,” judge Branko Peric said. “This court sentences him to 18 years in prison.”
Jasarevic opened fire on the embassy in October 2011 with an automatic weapon before being shot by police and arrested. One police officer was injured in the attack.
“Jasarevic wanted to express his dissatisfaction with the position of Muslims in Bosnia and the world,” the judge said. The court rejected the charges that Jasarevic had organized a terrorist group but the sentence was the heaviest ever handed out by the Bosnian judiciary on terrorism charges.
The court acquitted his two co-accused, Emrah Fojnica and Munib Ahmetspahic, charged with helping him prepare the Oct. 28 attack and later covering up evidence.
The three defendants were not in court when the verdict was announced.
“We are satisfied with the sentence given to Mevlid Jasarevic as it is almost the maximum one for the act of terrorism,” the prosecutor’s spokeswoman Selma Hecimovic said.
“However, we will lodge an appeal for the part of the verdict acquitting Emrah Fojnica and Munib Ahmetspahic because we consider that they had helped Jasarevic to commit the terrorist act,” Hecimovic told AFP.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: A number of prominent Saudi women have cited several reasons for not running as candidates in the upcoming municipal elections. Some of them are an alleged lack of clarity on nominations and voting; they are too busy; and they want to make wa...
JEDDAH: At the weekly Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Prince Mohammed bin Naif briefed the Cabinet on the talks held by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman with President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi of Yemen,...
JEDDAH: Private schools have been devising new ways to raise money from parents to circumvent the Education Ministry’s cap on fee increases, a local publication reported here recently.Schools now charge for services that do not require the ministry’s...
JEDDAH: Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Haj Committee Prince Mohammed bin Naif has approved the general plan for implementation of Civil Defense works in emergency cases during the current Haj...
RIYADH: The government has shut down a cosmetics factory in Riyadh for using undisclosed raw materials and unhygienic process at its production facility.A team from the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, during a routine inspection, found the plant u...
RIYADH: Recruitment offices here have decided to stop hiring Bangladeshi workers because they claim that a supply crunch has raised costs.Ibrahim Al-Megheimish, a recruitment expert, said that there are too few Bangladeshi workers seeking employment,...

Stay Connected

Facebook