Chelsea rules out Lampard contract extension



REUTERS

Published — Tuesday 8 January 2013

Last update 7 January 2013 10:40 pm

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

LONDON: Chelsea have told Frank Lampard’s agent that the England midfielder will not be offered a new contract with the European champions at the end of the Premier League season, media reported on Monday.
“Chelsea executives told Frank in Japan during the Club World Cup, then again reconfirmed with me after the Everton victory, that in no circumstances will he be offered a new contract at the club,” Lampard’s agent Steve Kutner told the Daily Mirror.
“Nothing since has changed in any respect.” Lampard, 34, scored both goals against Everton in a 2-1 league win at the end of December and Chelsea fans have chanted ‘Sign him up’ throughout recent matches.
He became Chelsea’s joint second highest goal-scorer of all time on Saturday when he converted a penalty in a 5-1 FA Cup third round victory at Southampton.
The goal put him on 193 career goals for the West London club, level with Kerry Dixon and behind Bobby Tambling who scored 202 between 1959 and 1970.
Lampard joined Chelsea in 2001 and his contract runs out at the end of the season in June.
The club’s billionaire owner Roman Abramovich appears set on him going, however.
Lampard said after the Everton game that there had been no talk about a new contract over the past few weeks.
He could now be tempted to see out his career in the United States, following the example set by former England captain David Beckham at the Los Angeles Galaxy.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: Labor Minister Mufrej Al-Haqabani has launched a series of electronic projects and facilities provided to the private sector companies, the SPA reported on Sunday.The projects and facilities include electronic visa issuance for the distinguis...
RIYADH: A high-powered team of officials from the Ministry of Health visited the hospitals in Jazan in the southern border to ensure services are in place to serve the patients in the region.The group of officials, comprising Dr. Nahar Al-Azmi, Dr. T...
YANBU: Like many Saudi women, Amani dreamt of becoming a mother, but was unable to have children of her own after many years of marriage. Therefore, she decided to spend her time taking care of orphans with special circumstances in Makkah.However, th...
RIYADH: A total of 43 warehouses were shut down in Jeddah for failing to take safety and health measures.Officials of the general department of Civil Defense in Jeddah carried out inspection at 165 industrial complexes in the industrial zone recently...
JEDDAH: A quarrel between two girls at the Al-Zahour Orphanage in Makkah took a violent turn recently, with one of them reportedly using a sharp instrument to attack the other and injuring her.The attacker was sent to a correction center, while the i...
RIYADH: A woman and three men died on Sunday after contracting the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) in Riyadh, bringing the total number of deaths to 507 since June, 2012.According to the latest report issued by the Ministry of...

Stay Connected

Facebook