Chinese badminton player blogs ‘farewell’ to sport

Updated 02 August 2012
0

Chinese badminton player blogs ‘farewell’ to sport

LONDON: Defending Olympic champion Yu Yang of China has apparently quit badminton after she was one of eight players disqualified from women’s doubles for trying to lose at the London Games.
A comment on a verified account for Yu on the Tencent microblogging service late Wednesday read: “This is my last game. Farewell Badminton World Federation. Farewell my dear badminton.”
Yu’s retirement could not be immediately confirmed with Chinese badminton officials. In China, the lives of top athletes are closely controlled by sports officials, including decisions on retirement.
Yu and Wang Xiaoli, the world champions and Olympic gold-medal favorities, were one of four doubles teams which played poorly on purpose to secure a more favorable position in the quarterfinals lineup.
Along with two teams from South Korea and another from Indonesia, it appeared to be the first mass disqualification in Olympic history.
None of the players were made available for interviews.
Yu went on state television in China on Wednesday to apologize “to all the badminton fans and friends over yesterday’s game, because we did not comply with the Olympic spirit, and did not deliver a match with our true level to the audience, the fans and the friends.”
In a statement released to Xinhua, the Chinese Olympic delegation criticized its players’ actions.
“The behavior by Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli on court violated the Olympics ideal and the spirit of fair play. The Chinese delegation feels distressed over this matter,” the delegation said.
Xinhua also reported Chinese badminton coach Li Yongbo apologized and accepted blame for the scandal.
“As the head coach, I owe the fans and the Chinese an apology,” Li said. “Chinese players failed to demonstrate their fighting spirit of the national team. It’s me to blame.”
Yu won the Olympic women’s doubles in Beijing with Du Jing, and a bronze medal in mixed doubles.
After teaming with Wang Xiaoli in late 2010, their aggressiveness revolutionized women’s doubles. Since becoming a pair, they had lost only four times, and once because of injury, and an Olympic gold medal was expected to confirm them as the greatest women’s pair in history.
Last year Yu and Wang were named world women players of the year after sweeping the world and Asian championships and every Super Series title, including the final.


Pakistan thrash England to win 1st Test

Updated 27 May 2018
0

Pakistan thrash England to win 1st Test

  • Set just 64 for victory on the fourth morning, Pakistan finished on 66 for one before lunch to go 1-0 up in this two-match series
  • This was England’s seventh loss in 10 Tests as their first match under new national selector Ed Smith ended in a resounding defeat

LONDON: Pakistan beat England by the commanding margin of nine wickets to win the first Test at Lord’s on Sunday.
Set just 64 for victory on the fourth morning, Pakistan finished on 66 for one before lunch to go 1-0 up in this two-match series.
Imam-ul-Haq was 18 not out and Haris Sohail, who hit the winning boundary off Dominic Bess, 39 not out.
England were undone by two top-order batting collapses, slumping to 184 all out after winning the toss in their first innings and declining to 160 for six in their second before fifties from Jos Buttler and Test debutant Dominic Bess prevented an innings defeat.
This was England’s seventh loss in 10 Tests as their first match under new national selector Ed Smith ended in a resounding defeat.
The second Test at Headingley starts on Friday.

Brief scores:
England 1st Inns 184 (A Cook 70; Mohammad Abbas 4-23, Hasan Ali 4-51)
Pakistan 1st Inns 363 (Babar Azam 68, Asad Shafiq 59, Shadab Khan 52, Azhar Ali 50; B Stokes 3-73)
England 2nd Inns 242 (J Root 68, J Buttler 67, D Bess 57: Mohammad Amir 4-36, Mohammad Abbas 4-41)
Pakistan 2nd Inns 66-1

Result: Pakistan won by nine wickets
Series: Pakistan lead two-match series 1-0