Clinton may testify Jan. 22 on Libya attack



Agence France Presse

Published — Thursday 10 January 2013

Last update 10 January 2013 4:56 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

WASHINGTON: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton may make a long-awaited appearance before lawmakers on Jan. 22 to be quizzed about the deadly attack on a US mission in Libya, a senator said Tuesday.
Clinton had initially been due to testify to US lawmakers in late December after a scathing inquiry blamed “grossly inadequate” security at the diplomatic outpost in Benghazi for failing to protect staff there. But she was forced to cancel her testimony and send in her two deputy secretaries instead when she fell ill with a virulent stomach bug, and later suffered a concussion and blood clot.
Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed when a wave of heavily-armed militants overran the compound and a nearby annex on Sept. 11, unleashing a bloody and terrifying eight-hour assault.
The Accountability Review Board set up by Clinton to investigate the attack slammed “systemic failures and leadership and management deficiencies at senior levels within two bureaus of the State Department” responsible for security.
Assistant Secretary Eric Boswell, head of the bureau of diplomatic security, resigned his post after the report was released and was placed on administrative leave along with three other senior staff.
But Republican lawmakers have been itching to grill Clinton before she wraps up her four years in office in a few weeks, after they accused the US administration of some kind of cover-up over the deadly assault.
Senator Bob Corker, ranking Republican member of the Senate Foreign Relations committee, told MSNBC television he had been in discussions with Clinton’s top aides about setting a new date for her to testify.
“My sense is her hearing probably will take place the morning of the 22nd,” Corker said.
There was no immediate confirmation of the date from the State Department. Clinton only returned to work on Monday after a month-long absence due to ill-health, and is busy drawing up her schedule for her final weeks in office.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: The government has banned the use of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) for cooking at the holy sites during the Haj this year. Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Mohammed bin Naif, interior minister and president of the Supreme Haj Committee,...
RIYADH: The Ministry of Health has launched a program to vaccinate all public and private sector workers on Haj duty this year.Launching the program at the ministry’s headquarters here on Thursday, Tarif Al-Ama, undersecretary for treatment services...
JEDDAH: Makkah Gov. Prince Khaled Al-Faisal was briefed Thursday about Murooj Jeddah residential project, located in the eastern part of the governorate. Representatives of the Jeddah Development and Urban Regeneration Company, the executing company...
ANKARA: The Kingdom plans to highlight the country’s economic progress and influence globally at the meeting of G-20 Ministers of Labor and Employment here this week, said Mufrej Al-Haqabani, Saudi Arabia’s labor minister. In a statement to the Saudi...
JEDDAH: The Ministry of Haj in Madinah has employed women workers for the first time.Six women have been employed to work only during the Haj season, on the orders of Bandar Hajjar, the Haj minister, said Mohammed Al-Bijawi, director of the ministry...
JUBAIL: The Educational Services Department of the Royal Commission for Jubail (RCJ), represented by Al-Rowad Smart Secondary School, has distributed iPad to all new students at the beginning of the new school year.Mohammed Al-Hajri, director of the...

Stay Connected

Facebook