Doctors expect Clinton’s full recovery from clot



THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published — Thursday 3 January 2013

Last update 3 January 2013 12:55 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

WASHINGTON: Doctors treating US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton for a blood clot in her head said blood thinners were being used to dissolve the clot and they were confident she will make a full recovery.
Clinton didn’t suffer a stroke or neurological damage from the clot that formed after she had a concussion during a fainting spell at her home in early December, doctors said.
Clinton, 65, was admitted to a New York City hospital on Sunday when the clot was found on a follow-up exam on the concussion, Clinton spokesman Phillipe Reines said.
The popular secretary of state and former first lady had already planned to step down at the beginning of President Barack Obama’s second term, which begins this month. Whether she will return to work before she resigns remained a question.
The clot is located in the vein in the space between the brain and the skull behind the right ear. She will be released once the medication dose for the blood thinners has been established, the doctors said.
In their statement, Dr. Lisa Bardack of the Mount Kisco Medical Group and Dr. Gigi El-Bayoumi of George Washington University said Clinton was making excellent progress and was in good spirits.
Clinton’s complication “certainly isn’t the most common thing to happen after a concussion” and is one of the few types of blood clots in the skull or head that are treated with blood thinners, said Dr. Larry Goldstein, a neurologist who is director of Duke University’s stroke center. He is not involved in Clinton’s care.
The area where Clinton’s clot developed is “a drainage channel, the equivalent of a big vein inside the skull. It’s how the blood gets back to the heart,” Goldstein said.
Blood thinners usually are enough to treat the clot, and it should have no long-term consequences if her doctors are saying she has suffered no neurological damage from it, Goldstein said.
Clinton returned to the US from a trip to Europe, then fell ill with a stomach virus in early December that left her severely dehydrated and forced her to cancel a trip to North Africa and the Middle East. Until then, she had canceled only two scheduled overseas trips, one to Europe after breaking her elbow in June 2009 and one to Asia after the February 2010 earthquake in Haiti.
Her condition worsened when she fainted, fell and suffered a concussion while at home alone in mid-December as she recovered from the virus. It was announced Dec. 13.
This isn’t the first time Clinton has suffered a blood clot. In 1998, midway through her husband’s second term as president, Clinton was in New York fundraising for the midterm elections when a swollen right foot led her doctor to diagnose a clot in her knee requiring immediate treatment.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JOUF: A citizen in Jouf has become at 94 the oldest person to register for the Dec. 12 municipal council elections.The man, who was not named, arrived at the Zaloum election center accompanied by his 62-year-old son, an online publication reported on...
JEDDAH: The spike in cases of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus is worrying because of the upcoming annual pilgrimage, according to a top doctor.Hanan Balkhi, head of the Health Ministry’s national scientific committee of infect...
RIYADH: Senior Indian police and intelligence officials interrogated two Saudis after they were detained following their suspicious movement in Trichy, a southern city in India’s Tamil Nadu state. Officials detained the duo — Rasheed and Abdul Rahma...
MADINAH: Defective air conditioning units at Prince Mohammed bin Abdulaziz International Airport (PMIA) have left passengers sweltering amid the excessive afternoon heat. The travelers had to resort to using pieces of paper as fans to cool themselves...
RIYADH: The participation of Saudi women in the upcoming municipal council elections is set to ensure they take their rightful place in boosting social and economic development in the country.Many women have already begun registering as voters, and w...
JEDDAH: Only 7,034 Saudis have so far registered in Riyadh and the Eastern Province for the Dec. 12 municipal council elections, a local publication reported Wednesday.The elections, held for the third time in the Kingdom, are expected to attract a r...
JEDDAH: A total of 66,000 Nigerians will perform Haj this year, according to the National Haj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON).The first group of 300 pilgrims arrived Sunday, sources at the Nigerian embassy said. “The first flight that took off from th...
RIYADH: The Passports Department has announced that there will be heavy fines for people transporting Haj pilgrims without licenses.There would be fines of up to SR100,000, a two-year-prison sentence and deportation for anyone found harboring or prov...
RIYADH: The Public Education Evaluation Commission (PEEC) head said on Wednesday that private schools will undergo performance evaluation in the next two to three weeks by local specialists who have just finished their training under the organization...
JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia has announced that the country’s citizens are safe in Lebanon, but has joined Kuwait and Bahrain in issuing advisories warning its citizens not to travel there.Saudi Ambassador to Lebanon Ali Asiri said Tuesday that the embassy h...
RIYADH: Assistant Director General for Information and Communications Technology (ICT) at the Ministry of Health (MoH) Mansour Al-Suaidan has been selected by the Kent, Leonard, Adam and Scott (KLAS) as the only Arab advisory board member.“Mansour Al...
JEDDAH: The local Pakistani Journalists Forum (PJF), in cooperation with the Consulate General of Pakistan, celebrated the country’s 69th Independence Day, where children thrilled the audience with patriotic songs.Pakistan Consul General Aftab A. Kho...
JEDDAH: The Specialized Criminal Court in Riyadh has sentenced an Algerian expatriate to 18 months in jail for overstaying his Umrah visa. The court also found evidence that he tried cross the Saudi border to fight in Syria, a local publication repor...
JEDDAH: An official at the Ministry of Labor confirmed that ministry will launch an e-recruitment service via the Musaned website next week. The service will allow employers to apply for visas without the need to visit labor offices.Ahmad Al-Ghamdi,...
RIYADH: A new Saudi program on television called “Security of the Kingdom” will go on air on Tabah Channel starting on the first week of September, according to Dr. Mohsin Shaikh Al-Hassan, the program’s host.“The program is important and timely beca...

Stay Connected

Facebook