Ecclestone expects 19 grands prix in 2013



REUTERS

Published — Wednesday 12 December 2012

Last update 13 December 2012 12:24 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

LONDON: Formula One looks likely to have 19 races next year despite organizers tweaking the calendar to create space for a 20th round in Europe, commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone said yesterday.
Speaking to Austria’s Kleine Zeitung newspaper, the 82-year-old Ecclestone poured cold water on suggestions that the country’s grand prix could be reinstated after a 10-year absence to take the vacant July 21 slot.
“Really? Who says that? Until now I have not talked about this with anyone,” Ecclestone said of speculation that a race could be held at Spielberg’s revamped Red Bull-owned circuit, formerly known as the A1 Ring.
Ecclestone said he had not spoken to Red Bull’s billionaire owner Dietrich Mateschitz for some time and there had been no approach by the Austrian energy drinks company whose team have won the F1 title for the past three years.
He added that the lack of hotels in that part of rural Austria remained a problem.
“At the moment I am thinking more about Turkey and a return to Istanbul,” said Ecclestone, although he recognized those efforts might come to nothing.
The Turkish race was removed from this year’s calendar due to disagreements over the hosting fees and money has again proved a stumbling block in talks to have the circuit reinstated.
Turkey’s motorsport federation has said some government funding will be required but the country’s sports minister ruled that out last week and said it was entirely a matter for the private sector.
“At the moment I think that we will have only 19 grands prix next year. That would not be a big problem for F1,” said Ecclestone, who had a record 20 races on the calendar this season.
The vacancy was created by the postponement to 2014 of a planned street-circuit race in New Jersey, against a backdrop of the New York skyline.
The calendar uncertainty has been irksome for others already, with MotoGP’s governing body and the organizers of the Goodwood Festival of Speed in Britain both changing their dates to accommodate Formula One’s latest calendar revision and avoid a clash.
The German MotoGP round at the Sachsenring and Goodwood, a hugely popular event on the British motorsport calendar, had been scheduled for July 7 — a date now filled by the German Formula One Grand Prix which was moved forward to create a space for a July 21 race that may not happen.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: A number of prominent Saudi women have cited several reasons for not running as candidates in the upcoming municipal elections. Some of them are an alleged lack of clarity on nominations and voting; they are too busy; and they want to make wa...
ALKHOBAR: A short circuit involving a transformer in the basement of the residential complex of Saudi Aramco resulted in the fire on Sunday, according to a preliminary probe.The blaze continued for over five hours in the residential towers. The fire...
JEDDAH: At the weekly Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Prince Mohammed bin Naif briefed the Cabinet on the talks held by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman with President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi of Yemen,...
JEDDAH: Private schools have been devising new ways to raise money from parents to circumvent the Education Ministry’s cap on fee increases, a local publication reported here recently.Schools now charge for services that do not require the ministry’s...
JEDDAH: Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Haj Committee Prince Mohammed bin Naif has approved the general plan for implementation of Civil Defense works in emergency cases during the current Haj...
RIYADH: The government has shut down a cosmetics factory in Riyadh for using undisclosed raw materials and unhygienic process at its production facility.A team from the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, during a routine inspection, found the plant u...

Stay Connected

Facebook