Saudi mining and minerals conference: $19 billion projects in spotlight

Updated 29 September 2015
0

Saudi mining and minerals conference: $19 billion projects in spotlight

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia is organizing its first ever international mining and minerals conference and exhibition in a bid to boost a sector that offers $19 billion worth of opportunities in upstream and downstream projects.
According to the latest data from MEED Projects, a leading regional tracking and analysis platform in the Middle East, upstream projects (extraction, mining) under execution or pre-execution is worth $4 billion, while downstream projects (mineral/metal processing plants) under execution or pre-execution is valued at $15 billion.
“With the massive size and scale of opportunities involved, Saudi Arabia is keen on strategically developing an industry that will not only help diversify its economy, but also sustainably and strategically utilize its abundant mineral resources to become a leading regional hub and global commodities supplier,” says Edmund O’ Sullivan, chairman, MEED Events, which is organizing the conference component of Saudi Minerals and Mining 2015.
The conference is scheduled to take place from Oct. 27 to 29 at the Prince Sultan Grand Hall, Al Faisaliah Exhibition & Convention Center in Riyadh.
More than 3,000 delegates are expected to attend the event, including government officials, investors, mining specialists, business leaders, mine owners and international operators.
The conference will feature local and international experts who will share insights on how key stakeholders can explore the wealth of opportunities within the Kingdom’s mining and minerals sector and the extended value chain.
It will be keynoted by Ali Al-Naimi, Minister of petroleum and mineral resources, who will be joined by important decision-makers and thought leaders.


Samsung delays Galaxy Fold media events in China

Updated 22 April 2019
0

Samsung delays Galaxy Fold media events in China

  • Instead of plaudits ahead of the phone’s launch on April 26 in the US, Samsung has instead received brickbats
  • The hashtag #foldgate trended on Twitter because of the smartphone issues

SEOUL: Smartphone maker Samsung postponed media events for its Galaxy Fold planned for this week in Hong Kong and Shanghai, a company official said, days after reviewers of the foldable handset reported defective samples.
The official did not elaborate on reasons or rescheduling.
Instead of plaudits ahead of the phone’s launch on April 26 in the United States, the South Korean conglomerate has been blighted by technology journalists reporting breaks, bulges and blinking screens after using their samples for as little as a day.
Samsung said it received “a few” reports of damage to the displays of samples of the $1,980 handset, raising the specter of the combustible Galaxy Note 7 three years ago which the firm ultimately pulled from shelves at massive cost.
The reviewers’ reports of broken screens went viral online and prompted the creation of hashtag #foldgate on Twitter.
Samsung has hailed the folding design as the future in a field that has seen few surprises since Apple’s iPhone in 2007. Chinese rival Huawei Technologies has also announced a folding handset, the Mate X.
The Samsung official on Monday said it had no change to its previously announced release date in the United States.
It plans to begin South Korean and European sales in May, and Chinese sales from an undisclosed date.