Egypt Islamists occupy Coptic church land for prayers



Agence France Presse

Published — Wednesday 7 November 2012

Last update 7 November 2012 10:24 pm

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

CAIRO: Egyptian Salafists have occupied and held prayers on church land and threatened to burn Coptic shops if they are blocked from praying there on Friday, a Coptic bishop said.
“A group of Salafists entered land belonging the the diocese on Monday at 10 p.m. and stayed till the next day’s afternoon prayers. They put up a banner saying ‘Abdel Rahman mosque,’” Bishop Morcos told AFP on Wednesday.
He said the ultra-conservative threatened to torch Coptic shops if they were prevented from using the land for Friday’s weekly Muslim prayers.
Morcos said the church wants to build on the land as soon as the permits are granted, and that a complaint had been filed with police and the state prosecutor.
There was no comment from the interior ministry.
In the meantime, in order to avoid the possibility of clashes, he said he will prevent young Copts from going to the property.
Copts, who make up between six and 10 percent of Egypt’s 83 million people, have suffered an increase in attacks since a popular uprising ousted Hosni Mubarak in early 2011, leading to months of insecurity.
Many of the Christians opposed the election in June of President Muhammad Mursi, whose Muslim Brotherhood movement wants to gradually turn Egypt into an Islamist state.
Mursi himself has assured Copts of equal rights.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman arrived here yesterday evening on an official visit to the United States of America at the invitation of the US President Barack Obama.At Andrews Air Force Base Airport, he was received by US Secretary of...
JEDDAH: The government has banned the use of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) for cooking at the holy sites during the Haj this year. Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Mohammed bin Naif, interior minister and president of the Supreme Haj Committee,...
RIYADH: The government plans to pay SR500,000 in compensation to the family of every person, regardless of nationality, who died from the deadly Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus in the Kingdom, the Ministry of Health announced on T...
RIYADH: The Ministry of Health has launched a program to vaccinate all public and private sector workers on Haj duty this year.Launching the program at the ministry’s headquarters here on Thursday, Tarif Al-Ama, undersecretary for treatment services...
JEDDAH: Makkah Gov. Prince Khaled Al-Faisal was briefed Thursday about Murooj Jeddah residential project, located in the eastern part of the governorate. Representatives of the Jeddah Development and Urban Regeneration Company, the executing company...
ANKARA: The Kingdom plans to highlight the country’s economic progress and influence globally at the meeting of G-20 Ministers of Labor and Employment here this week, said Mufrej Al-Haqabani, Saudi Arabia’s labor minister. In a statement to the Saudi...

Stay Connected

Facebook