EU dismayed by Israeli settlements



AGENCIES

Published — Tuesday 11 December 2012

Last update 11 December 2012 5:03 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

BRUSSELS: The EU is “deeply dismayed” by Israel’s plans for new West Bank settlements, which threaten peace efforts that instead should be revived, according to a draft prepared for foreign ministers yesterday.
The so-called E1 project that calls for the construction of new settler homes in a strip of West Bank land outside Jerusalem has fueled a major diplomatic backlash, with experts warning it could wipe out hopes of establishing a viable Palestinian state.
“The European Union is deeply dismayed by and strongly opposes Israeli plans to expand settlements in the West Bank, including in East Jerusalem, and in particular plans to develop the E1 area,” said a draft of the conclusions on the Middle East peace process at a one-day meeting in Brussels.
The E1 plan, “if implemented, would seriously undermine the prospects of a negotiated resolution of the conflict” as it would question the viability of the two-state settlement central to the peace process.
On the day it collected the Nobel Peace Prize, the EU “reiterates that settlements are illegal under international law and constitute an obstacle to peace,” it added.
The draft said that in view of recent developments, which include an unprecedented UN upgrade of the Palestinians’ diplomatic status, the EU believed it was now time to take “bold and concrete steps toward peace.” To this end, both sides must “engage in direct and substantial negotiations without pre-conditions in order to achieve a lasting solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, ending all claims.” The EU also called on the Palestinian leadership to use the UN upgrade constructively and not take steps, which would “deepen the lack of trust and lead further away from a negotiated solution.”
Peace talks

Meanwhile, Palestinians are looking to reactivate peace talks with Israel with the aim of resolving all final status issues within six months, a senior official said yesterday Speaking to the official Voice of Palestine radio, negotiator Saeb Erakat said “a new stage” had been reached after the Palestinians successfully won non-member status at the United Nations.
“After the UN resolution... a new stage has certainly started,” he said, speaking a day after Arab League ministers met in Doha, Qatar.
The historic UN vote on November 29 had convinced the Arab world that “the peace process, and its references and involved parties including the (Middle East) Quartet, should be reconsidered,” he said.
By the end of December, a Palestinian committee would work up action plans after which it would travel to the five permanent UN Security Council members — Britain, France, Russia, China and the US — to see “whether there is a chance for the peace process and on which principles it should held.”
“The first principle is that the goal of the peace process — according to all previously signed agreements and international law — is the withdrawal of Israel to the June 4, 1967 borderline, including Jerusalem,” he said.
“The second principle is related to the necessity of re-launching negotiations from the point they were halted, which means they should not start from scratch like Netanyahu wants them to be.
“The third principle is to set a six-month time-table for the negotiations to reach an agreement over all final status issues,” he said.
“Settlement activity should be halted during this period of time and Palestinian prisoners should be released in accordance with previously signed agreements and not as preconditions.” According to a statement on the Doha talks published by the official WAFA news agency, Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas proposed “a mechanism setting a six month deadline during which settlements would be halted and Israel would enter into negotiations on what was agreed” — namely, the 1967 borders as a basis for a peace deal.
Before the start of talks in 2010, Israel observed a 10-month freeze on new West Bank construction, but has refused repeated requests to renew it, dismissing it as an unacceptable “precondition” for talks, although the Palestinians say it is an “obligation” under international law.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

ALKHOBAR: A power failure at the King Fahd Causeway on Wednesday night resulted in a massive traffic congestion, even as officials failed to explain the cause of the snag, local media reported.A power outage for 74 minutes on the link between the Kin...
JEDDAH: A female Saudi lawyer was able to get a stay order on a ruling by the general court in Jeddah that awarded custody of a two-year-old girl to her father. She successfully argued to get the court order reversed that gave custody back to the mot...
JEDDAH: The Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice (Haia) said that combating harassment cases is part of its responsibility to promote Islamic values and morals in society.“Those harassing women will be brought to book,” s...
RIYADH: A thick layer of sand covered the city’s skyline on Saturday with a heavy blanket of dust caused by strong winds hampering visibility and creating traffic snarls on busy roads.The traffic department advised motorists to drive slowly and exerc...
JEDDAH: More than 26 million Umrah pilgrims and worshippers visited the Grand Mosque during the month of Ramadan and in the first few days after Eid Al-Fitr, thanks to a smooth transport arrangement under the guidance of Makkah Gov. Prince Khaled Al-...
AL-AHSA: An outbreak of lumpy skin disease (LSD) has been discovered in cattle in Al-Ahsa which is an area with many cows. All necessary measures have been taken to protect the livestock, said Mahmoud Al-Shuaibi of the Agriculture Department in Al-Ah...
RIYADH: An architectural masterpiece — the King Abdul Aziz Historical Center (KAHC) — in Riyadh is a huge complex dedicated solely to collecting, preserving, promoting and showcasing the history and heritage of Saudi Arabia. The KAHC is a three milli...
RIYADH: The Saudi Blind Society (Kafif) has made all preparations for the three-day workshop for the blind to be held here next week and attended by delegates from various Asian countries.Mohammed bin Suleiman Al-Shuwaiman, Kafif director general, th...
JEDDAH: The number of Saudis who took early retirement schemes last year stood at 38,647, the General Organization for Social Insurance (GOSI) has said. The Eastern Provinces got the lion's share of disbursements for retirees, amounting to SR3.8 bill...
JEDDAH: Meat and poultry topped the list of food items seized by the Saudi Food and Drug Authority (SFDA) at the border crossings for violating the health standards in the last two months.Approximately 267,137 kg of unfit meat and poultry were reject...
JEDDAH: Many sponsors and workers of small companies are struggling to get a comparatively cheaper health cover for renewal of iqama (residential permit) as the insurance companies have stopped issuing the same.The passport department has made it com...
RIYADH: Police have detained 11 Indonesian nationals, who arrived in the holy city of Makkah for Umrah a few days back.The Indonesian Religious Affairs Ministry is working closely with the Indonesian Consulate in Jeddah to assist the group of citizen...
JEDDAH: The National Committee for Bakeries at the Council of Saudi Chambers (CSC) said this Haj season would see no shortage in supplies of bakery items.The committee said there was need to increase operational labor by about 20 percent.It confirmed...
JEDDAH: Maj. Gen. Ibrahim Al Hamzi, director general of prisons, has sacked Brig. Ahmad Al Shahrani, director of Jeddah prisons, after the case of a video clip about prisoners taking heroin went viral, according to local media.Quoting informed source...
JEDDAH: Makkah Gov. Prince Khaled Al-Faisal met with leaders of security forces in the region on Thursday to discuss future plans and mechanisms to limit infiltrators from entering the holy sites via land passageways during Haj.During the meeting, he...

Stay Connected

Facebook