Europe juggles ambitions, constraints in talks on space



AGENCE FRANCE PRESSE

Published — Tuesday 20 November 2012

Last update 20 November 2012 1:14 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

Europe faces key decisions this week about its role in space, pondering plans for a new rocket and its involvement in the International Space Station at a time of money crunch.
Meeting in Naples on Tuesday and Wednesday, science ministers from the European Space Agency’s 20 member states will be asked to set a multi-year program with billions of euros at stake for the highly successful space industry.
It will be the first top-level meeting by ESA in four years, a period whose achievements included the launch of the first satellites in Europe’s rival to the US Global Positioning System (GPS).
But 2008 also marked the start of the financial crisis, which now drags on many European economies, forcing governments almost everywhere to count the pennies.
In an interview with AFP, ESA Director General Jean-Jacques Dordain said he was hoping members would back a three-year budget of 12 billion euros ($15 billion) but would be happy with “something around 10 billion euros.” If so, it would mean a roughly stable budget compared with current levels, “but given the current situation, this is not small beer,” he said.
Topping the bill is a successor to ESA’s Ariane 5 heavy lifter, providing a rocket with nimbler launch options for the fast-changing satellite market.
Rival schemes are being pushed by France and Germany, which with Italy are the big hitters in ESA. France is lobbying for an Ariane 6, which would require some four billion euros and lead — if all goes well — to a maiden flight in 2021.
“We have to aim for an ultra-reliable, ultra-cheap launcher which does not need 120 million euros in subsidies each year,” said Bruno Sido, a senator who heads a science and technology panel in France’s upper house of parliament.
Germany wants a less ambitious option, an Ariane 5 ME (for “Midlife Evolution“), that would be readier sooner at a putative cost of two billion euros.
“There’s a lot of things on the table,” David Williams, head of the UK Space Agency, said in a phone interview.
“There will be a lot of backroom discussions and dealings. The bottom line is that everyone wants to go there and find success, but it’s only when you are in the room together that the issues have to be addressed.” Weighing on many minds is not just belt-tightening but also the rise of the US private sector from sub-contractor to lead player.
Last month, the US firm SpaceX sent an unmanned freighter, Dragon, to the ISS, vindicating NASA’s initiative to delegate resupply missions to private corporations.
After delivering 450 kilograms (1,000 pounds) of cargo, the Dragon splashed down in the Pacific, bringing back 758 kilos (1,670 pounds) of experiments and hardware.
NASA also has a $1.9-billion resupply contract for the station with Orbital Sciences Corporation, which will run its first test flight in the next few months at a base in Virginia.
These developments are eyed with some concern in Europe, which must decide whether — and how — to extend its involvement in the ISS beyond 2015.
Right now, its major contribution to the ISS is a robot freighter called the Automated Transfer Vehicle (ATV).
It is a Rolls-Royce of a beast, offering fly-by-starlight navigation and self-docking and a far bigger (20-ton) payload than Falcon.
But it is also many times more expensive and does only a one-way trip, because it is sent on a suicide plunge, burning up in the atmosphere after use.
Dordain said Europe had no doubts about continuing in the US-led project despite its many cost overruns and delays.


“There is a value in the space station and a value in our partnership,” said Dordain. “ESA must remain a partner.” One idea being mooted is to use the ATV’s impressive avionics and propulsion for Orion, a capsule that NASA plans as the successor to the space shuttle.
This would be Europe’s major contribution to the ISS from 2015 to 2020 under a barter agreement.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

TAIF: Makkah Gov. Prince Khaled Al-Faisal inaugurated state-of-the-art Radf public park in Taif which has an interactive fountain — the biggest of its kind in the Kingdom and spread over 13,000 sq meters. The fountain has colored lighting and a displ...
JEDDAH: The Special Criminal Court has issued a preliminary order in a case related to a Saudi national who fought with militant organizations in Syria. The court, functioning at its summer headquarters in Jeddah, sentenced him to a seven-year jail t...
RI YADH: The Kingdom has decided to increase the financial aid to Palestine by raising its monthly aid to the Palestinian Authority’s budget from $14 million to $20 million. The substantial increase brings Saudi Arabia’s yearly aid for Palestine to $...
JEDDAH: The Saudi Ambassador to Jordan has rejected terror charges against Saudis incarcerated in Iraqi jails and slammed the government of that country for concealing information on the inmates."The file of Saudi prisoners in Iraq has grabbed the at...
JEDDAH: Six female members of the Shoura Council participated in a training program to raise awareness among citizens on the municipal elections in which women will participate. The program was organized by Al-Nahda Philanthropic Society for Women un...
RIYADH: Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman has issued an order appointing and promoting 96 members at the Bureau of Investigation and Public Prosecution (BIPP) at various ranks.Sheikh Mohammed bin Fahd Al Abdullah, BIPP president, expresse...
DAMMAM: After the recent increase in verbal and physical harassment of women and girls in the Kingdom, they have turned to martial arts in order to protect themselves. Amani Yassin, a coach at Taekwondo Training Institute, said: “Saudi women are inte...
RIYADH: A youth has been arrested for allegedly killing a Saudi man near the Madinah airport recently. The police apprehended the alleged killer without incident. The suspect, a 24-year-old Saudi, is alleged to have stabbed the victim several times...
RIYADH: A total of 4,326 male and female students started their local and regional summer program for 2015 under the sponsorship of the King Abdul Aziz and his Companions Foundation for the Gifted and Creativity (Mawhiba) throughout the Kingdom on Su...
BURAIDAH: The security patrolling team in Qassim detained a woman for driving a car on the streets of Buraidah.Her case was referred to the higher-ups for necessary action.According to Maj. Badar Al-Sahibani, spokesman Qassim police, the woman is ide...
RIYADH: Recent statistics announced by the Saudi Commission for Health Specialties, which coincided with consensus surveys in the Kingdom for the year 2014, revealed that there is only one doctor for each 800 people, and one nurse for every 285 peopl...
Indian expats have paid glowing tributes to one of its most beloved presidents and iconic leaders on Tuesday, as condolences poured in from various parts of the Kingdom for A.P.J. Abdul Kalam following his sudden death on Monday.Hemant Kotalwar, char...
RIYADH: The National Center for Assessment in Higher Education (Qiyas) has announced the dates of tests for male and female students for the new academic year.Ibrahim Rasheed, director for public relations and communications, said the center has com...
RIYADH: The Ministries of Health and Education in cooperation with the Kingdom’s universities launched a program dubbed, “Education and Work,” in Riyadh on Tuesday to help Saudi youth find employment in the public and private sectors. A memorandum of...
JEDDAH: A senior Health Ministry official said butchers and cooks are more likely to be infected with the coronavirus because they handle and process camel meat.Dr. Abdul Aziz bin Saeed, undersecretary at the Ministry of Health for Public Health, sai...

Stay Connected

Facebook