Jeddah meet to discuss ways to defeat terror

Updated 10 September 2014
0

Jeddah meet to discuss ways to defeat terror

US Secretary of State John Kerry will participate in a high-profile regional meeting being hosted by the Kingdom on Thursday to discuss terrorism and security-related issues in the Middle East, including the threats posed by the Islamic State (IS).
The talks, to be held in Jeddah, will bring together ministers and high-ranking officials from GCC countries, Egypt, Jordan and Turkey.
Kerry, who has pledged to build the broadest possible coalition of partners around the globe to confront and defeat IS, is currently on a tour of Middle East countries.
“Kerry will hold bilateral meetings in Jeddah and Amman with counterparts to discuss regional issues and the current situation in Iraq,” Johann Schmonsees, US Embassy spokesman in Riyadh, said Tuesday. “While traveling in the region, Kerry will also consult key partners and allies on how to further support the security and stability of the Iraqi government, combat the threat posed by IS and confront Middle East security challenges,” Johann told Arab News.
Talks in Jeddah will be attended by Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu amid intense US-led efforts to include Turkey in the anti-IS fight.
Egypt’s Foreign Minister, Sameh Shokri, will head a high-level delegation to take part in the talks.
The negotiations between officials in Jeddah will determine the nature of the alliance expected to be formed to face the threat of IS.
The announcement to hold the meeting comes a day after Riyadh backed an Arab League resolution emphasizing the need to take quick measures to crush regional terrorist organizations.
The meeting in Jeddah is also likely to discuss key regional issues affecting peace and security in the Middle East. In remarks made on Tuesday before his departure to the Middle East, Kerry said, “almost every single country on earth has a role to play in eliminating the IS threat.”


Houthis agree to stop firing missiles at Saudi Arabia

Updated 19 November 2018
0

Houthis agree to stop firing missiles at Saudi Arabia

  • The Iran-backed rebels ordered the cessation of rocket and drone attacks
  • It cessation was done at the request of UN special envoy Martin Griffiths

SANAA, Yemen: A senior leader of the Houthi militia says the group will halt rocket fire into Saudi Arabia for the sake of peace efforts.
The Houthi leader, Mohammed Ali Al-Houthi, says the Iran-backed rebels ordered the cessation of rocket and drone attacks on the Saudis and forces loyal to coalition member the United Arab Emirates at the request of UN special envoy Martin Griffiths.
The statement was carried by militia-controlled media early on Monday.
Griffiths announced on Friday that both sides had agreed to attend talks in Sweden “soon” aimed at ending the three-year war. The announcement followed an informal de-escalation last week around the key port city of Hodeidah.