Houthis urged to abide by cease-fire

Updated 12 May 2015
0

Houthis urged to abide by cease-fire

Ministers on Monday praised Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman for setting up a humanitarian and relief center in Riyadh that would coordinate all aid for the Yemeni people.
The king will open the center, named after him, and lay the foundation of the center’s permanent headquarters on Wednesday.
In a statement after the weekly Cabinet meeting chaired by the king, Minister of Culture and Information Adel Al-Toraifi said the move reflects the monarch’s commitment to ease the suffering of the people.
Al-Toraifi said the ministers also urged the rebels to abide by the five-day cease-fire proposed by Saudi Arabia, to ease the flow of aid into the country. There was also an appeal to the international community to step up their relief efforts in the country.
Al-Toraifi said King Salman thanked fellow GCC leaders for their support at the 15th Consultative Meeting last week in Riyadh, which was aimed at ensuring security and stability in the region.
He welcomed the participation of French President Francois Hollande as the first guest of honor at the GCC gathering, which marked France’s increasing “active and positive role” in the Middle East, said Al-Toraifi.
The king also briefed the Council of Ministers on his talks with King Abdallah of Jordan, Niger President Mahamadou Issoufou and US Secretary of State John Kerry. He said the US supported the Kingdom’s moves to ensure peace in the region, said Al-Toraifi.
Al-Toraifi said the Cabinet condemned the attacks on Najran and Jizan by Houthis that targeted homes, farms, schools and service facilities. The ministers were adamant that the Saudi armed forces would eliminate these attacks.


Saudi Arabia’s nuclear program ‘fundamental to Kingdom’s energy sector’

Updated 18 September 2018
0

Saudi Arabia’s nuclear program ‘fundamental to Kingdom’s energy sector’

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia’s atomic energy program is fundamental for developing a sustainable energy sector, a senior minister told the International Atomic Energy Agency on Monday.
The Kingdom plans to start building its first two nuclear power reactors this year and as many as 16 over the next 25 years at a cost of more than $80 billion. The plan is to provide 15 percent of Saudi Arabia’s power from nuclear by 2032.
Speaking at the IAEA’s annual conference in Vienna, Energy Minister Khalid Al-Falih said the atomic reactor projects were were part of the Kingdom’s Vision 2030 to diversify its energy sources to nuclear and renewables.
The program “abides by all international treaties and conventions and best practices, adhering to the highest standards of safety, security and transparency,” Al Falih said.
The minister said Saudi Arabia was committed to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, which calls for nuclear disarmament and stresses the commitment of nuclear power states to share their peaceful technologies with abiding member states.
He also said the Kingdom had called for cooperation with the international community to make the Middle East a nuclear weapons free area.
The US has started to reintroduce heavy sanctions against Iran over its nuclear program, after Donald Trump pulled out of a deal with the country earlier this year to curb its atomic ambitions.
Al-Falih called on the international community to take a more stringent stance against all threats to regional and international security, particularly Iran, given its “alarming efforts to build its nuclear capabilities, in tandem with its increasing acts of sabotage and aggression against other states in the region.”