No survivors in Russian plane crash

Updated 01 November 2015
0

No survivors in Russian plane crash

SHARM EL-SHEIKH, Egypt: There were no survivors among the 224 people, including 17 children, on board the Russian aircraft that crashed Saturday in a remote mountainous region in the Sinai Peninsula, the Egyptian government said.
According to Adel Mahgoub, chairman of the state company that runs Egypt’s civilian airports, except for three Ukrainian passengers, everyone on board was Russian. An Egyptian Cabinet statement said the 217 passengers were 138 women, 62 men and 17 children. There were seven crew members aboard the 18-year-old Airbus 321-200.
A senior aviation official said the pilot had radioed that the aircraft was experiencing technical problems shortly before air traffic controllers lost contact with the plane.
The Russian Embassy in Cairo said on its Twitter account that there were no survivors. Russian investigators were searching the Moscow offices of Metrojet, the company that owned the plane chartered by St. Petersburg-based Brisco tour agency.
Most of the bodies recovered so far from the crash site were burned, said Egyptian military and security officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the media. They said military rescue and search teams walked four kilometers (2.4 miles) on rugged terrain to reach the site.
A civil aviation ministry statement said the plane’s wreckage was found in the Hassana area some 70 kilometers (44 miles) south of the city of el-Arish, in the general area in northern Sinai where Egyptian security forces have for years battled a burgeoning Islamic militant insurgency which is now led by a local affiliate of the extremist Islamic State group.
It said the plane took off from Sharm el-Sheikh shortly before 6 a.m. for St. Petersburg in Russia and disappeared from radar screens 23 minutes after takeoff. Egyptian Prime Minister Sherif Ismail briefly toured the crash site before he went to the Red Sea city of Suez where some of the victims’ bodies were being taken before they are sent on to Cairo, the Cabinet statement said.
Friends and relatives of the victims were gathering at a hotel near St. Petersburg’s Pulkovo airport. Psychologists were meeting with them in a large conference room off the lobby and police kept journalists away. Some left the room occasionally, looking drawn with tear-stained faces.
Yulia Zaitseva said her friends, newlywed couple Elena Rodina and Alexqander Krotov, were on the flight. Both were 33.
Zaitseva said Rodina, her friend for 20 years, “really wanted to go to Egypt, though I told her ‘why the hell do you want to go to Egypt?’“
“She was a very good friend who was ready to give everything to other people. To lose such a friend is like having your hand cut off,” Zaitseva said, adding that Rodina’s parents feel “like their lives are over.”
Russian airlines became infamous for poor safety in the early years following the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union, which brought severe financial troubles and regulatory disorder. Although accidents have diminished in recent years, crashes persist, many of them blamed on human error.
The Egyptian officials said the aircraft was cruising at 36,000 feet (about 11,000 meters) when contact with air traffic controllers was lost.
Although details of what caused the crash were unclear and the pilot reported technical difficulties, the Islamic State group sought to claim responsibility for bringing the plane down. They offered no evidence at all and are not known to have the capability to do so.
Militants in northern Sinai have not to date shot down commercial airliners or fighter jets. There have been media reports that they have acquired Russian shoulder-fired, anti-aircraft missiles. But these types of missiles can only be effective against low-flying aircraft or helicopters.
In January 2014, Sinai-based militants claimed to have shot down a military helicopter; Egyptian officials at the time acknowledged the helicopter had crashed, but gave no reason.
According to Russian news agencies, the Russian airliner was a charter flight under contract with the St. Petersburg-based Brisco tour company. The plane was made in 1997 and has since 2012 been operated by Metrojet, a Moscow-based airline.
Officers from Russia’s top investigative body are conducting searches and questioning employees at Metrojet’s Moscow offices and the St. Petersburg tour agency that had contracted the flight. Investigative Committee spokesman Vladimir Markin said investigators are also taking samples of fuel from the airport in the Russian city of Samara where the plane took on fuel Friday before heading to Sharm-al-Sheikh.
Egyptian Civil Aviation Minister Hossam Kamal said an investigative team has arrived at the crash site to examine the debris and locate the flight’s recorders, or the “black box.”
Earlier in the day, an Egyptian official with the government’s Aviation Incidents Committee told local media that the plane had briefly lost contact but was safely in Turkish airspace.
Later, the same official, Ayman Al-Muqadem, said the plane had crashed and that the pilot, before losing contact, had radioed that the aircraft was experiencing technical problems and that he intended to try and land at the nearest airport. It was not immediately possible to independently confirm that technical problems caused the plane to crash.
Mahgoub said the aircraft had successfully undergone technical checks while at Sharm el-Sheikh’s airport. A technical committee from the company was headed to Sharm el-Sheikh to collect security camera footage of the plane while it sat at the airport, including operations to supply it with fuel and passenger meals as well security checks, he said.
The aircraft had overnighted at Sharm el-Sheikh’s airport, according to the Cabinet statement.
Roughly three million Russian tourists, or nearly a third of all visitors in 2014, come to Egypt every year, mostly to Red Sea resorts in Sinai or in mainland Egypt.
“It is too premature to detect the impact this will have on tourism. We need to know what happened first,” Tourism Ministry spokeswoman Rasha Azazi told The Associated Press.
There was no sign of anything unusual at Sharm el-Sheikh’s airport just hours after news of the disaster broke. Hundreds of holidaymakers, mostly from Europe and the Middle East, were arriving and departing. Flights in the afternoon were leaving at the rate of four to five per hour, with lines for international check-in spilling out the main gates.
“We were here for a week and had a great time, we only heard about the crash as we arrived at the airport,” said Emily Bell, 21, from Portsmouth, England. “We enjoyed the beach and the nightlife.”
___


Iraqi forces launch anti-Daesh operation north of Baghdad

Updated 20 July 2019
0

Iraqi forces launch anti-Daesh operation north of Baghdad

  • The mainly Shiite PMF have been an effective force against Daesh
  • This is the second phase of the operation dubbed “Will to Victory”

BAGHDAD: Iraq’s military said Saturday its troops in partnership with security agencies and paramilitary forces launched the second phase of an operation aimed at clearing remnants of the Daesh group from north of Baghdad and surrounding areas.
This is the second phase of the operation dubbed “Will to Victory,” which started two weeks earlier and targeted the area along the border with Syria. The military said the new target area is north of Baghdad and in the Diyala, Salahuddin and Anbar provinces.
Although Iraq declared victory against Daesh in July 2017, the extremists have turned into an insurgency and continue to carry out deadly attacks in the country.
The military said Iraqi troops, Iran-backed Popular Mobilization Forces, the federal police and others are taking part in the operation supported by the Iraqis and the U.S-led international coalition.
On Saturday, Iraq’s Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi visited the operation room alongside the deputy head of the PMF, Abu Mahdi Al-Muhandis.
Earlier this month, the Iraqi government moved to place the Iranian-backed militias under the command of the armed forces. The move was believed to be an attempt to curb the powerful militias, particularly amid rising tension between Iran and the US, the power brokers in Iraq.
The mainly Shiite PMF have been an effective force against Daesh and are a significant political force, with government ministers and 48 seats in the 329-member parliament.