Fighting flares in Palestinian camp

Updated 09 January 2013
0

Fighting flares in Palestinian camp

DAMASCUS: Palestinian factions in Syria called yesterday for a cease-fire after fighting flared at a refugee camp in the capital, Damascus, highlighting a split among Palestinians as the civil war intensifies.
The Yarmouk camp has been the scene of heavy clashes in the past, but the battles subsided last month after Syrian rebels fighting to topple Syrian President Bashar Assad, battled loyalists there to a standstill.
In yesterday's fighting, five people were killed on Yarmouk Street, four of them when a shell exploded and the fifth in sniper fire, according to The Britain-based Observatory for Human Rights that relies on reports from activists on the ground.
The group said intense clashes were taking place on the edges of the camp, where the Syrian troops are positioned, and the nearby Hajar Aswad district.
In a statement yesterday, representatives of 14 Damascus-based Palestinian factions called for a cease-fire and a halt to all military operations to enable medical teams and food supply trucks to enter the camp. They urged gunmen to withdraw from the camp "in order not to bear the responsibility of the continuing displacement of (Yarmouk's) residents."
About half of Yarmouk's 150,000 residents have fled since fighting erupted in mid-December, according to estimates by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees that administers Palestinian camps in the Middle East. Some sought refuge in neighboring Lebanon, and others found shelter in UNRWA schools in Damascus and other Syrian cities.
Dozens have been killed in the fighting, although the United Nations did not provide an exact figure of casualties in Yarmouk violence that has included airstrikes and artillery shelling from the Syrian military and clashes between rebels and Assad loyalists.
Khaled Abdul-Majid, a senior representative of the Palestinian factions that issued the statement, confirmed that battles were progress in and around Yarmouk. He told reporters in Damascus, "We are working to end those clashes."
When the revolt against Assad's rule began in March 2011, the half-million-strong Palestinian community in Syria stayed on the sidelines.
As the civil war deepened, most Palestinians backed the rebels, while some groups — such as the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command — have been fighting alongside the troops. The PFLP-GC joined the call for a truce on Tuesday. The group is led by Ahmed Jibril, a long-time Assad ally.
Yarmouk is the largest of nine Palestinian camps in Syria. Since the camp's creation in 1957, it has evolved into a densely populated residential district just five miles (8 kms) from the center of Damascus. Several generations of Palestinian refugees live there, some employed as doctors, engineers and civil servants and others as day laborers and street vendors. Many Syrians have also moved into the camp area over the years.
Elsewhere in the country, The Observatory and other activists reported heavy fighting Tuesday in the suburbs of Damascus, including the Sayda Zeinab district, and reported shelling of the towns of Beit Saham and Aqraba, both near Damascus airport.
The Observatory also said three shells were fired at the suburb of Jaramana, wounding 9 people.


Yemen’s deputy army chief survives attempt on life

Maj. Gen. Saleh Al-Zindani
Updated 28 May 2018
0

Yemen’s deputy army chief survives attempt on life

  • “This terrorist regime” in Tehran, “which supplies terrorist militias all over the world
  • Iran backs the Houthis, who seized Sanaa in 2014

ADEN: The deputy chief of Yemeni Army, Maj. Gen. Saleh Al-Zindani, survived an attempt on his life in Aden, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Sunday.
The assassination attempt took place when Al-Zindani was leaving a hospital in Aden last night. Yemeni Prime Minister Ahmed Obeid bin Daghr condemned the incident calling it a barbaric act that puts international security and stability in jeopardy.
The incident is under investigation and no group has claimed the responsibility for the incident.
The Houthi militias have wreaked havoc on the country.
Iran backs the Houthis, who seized Sanaa in 2014, prompting an Arab military coalition to intervene against the militias the following year.
Last week, Yemen’s newly appointed Foreign Minister Khalid Al-Yamani categorically said there cannot be peace in the country unless the Houthis abandon their arms.
“The internationally recognized government will not allow Iran, which backs the Houthis, to maintain a foothold in Yemen or interfere in its internal affairs,” he added.
“This terrorist regime” in Tehran, “which supplies terrorist militias all over the world, is close to collapse as a result of international and popular pressure by the Iranian people, who are suffering as their terrorist state spends billions here and there for a foolish expansionist idea,” Al-Yamani said.
“The modern and civilized world that respects international law cannot accept the existence of a state sponsor of terrorism and all subversive and terrorist militias in the region,” he added.