France tells citizens to leave Mali

Updated 12 January 2013
0

France tells citizens to leave Mali

BAMAKO: France yesterday instructed its citizens to leave Mali following the launch of a government offensive against rebels in the north of the country.
The attack was aimed at stemming advances made by Al-Qaeda-linked radicals who this week triggered international alarm with a push south towards the capital, Bamako, a military officer told AFP.
“Our offensive has started,” the officer said on condition of anonymity. “The objective is to retake total control of the town of Konna and to proceed from there.”
He added that “military planes from friendly countries” were being used in the offensive while a Malian government official said the operation had the support of French and European armed forces.
“European military, including French, are present in Mali to repel any southward advance by rebels,” the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
The offensive came a day after Mali’s government appealed to France, the former colonial power, and the United Nations for help in pushing back the rebels.
As well as capturing Konna, the rebel forces have moved about 1,200 militants to within 20 kilometers (12.5 miles) of Mopti, a strategically important town on the frontier between rebel-held and government-held territories.
French President Francois Hollande responded to Mali’s appeal yesterday by saying Paris was ready to help, under the auspices of the UN.
The UN Security Council has already given its blessing for a 3,000-strong African force to be sent to Mali but it will not be ready to deploy before September at the earliest.
That has put pressure on France to act quickly and Hollande acknowledged that the situation had become critical.
“They are trying to deliver a fatal blow to the very existence of this country,” he said. “France, like its African partners and the whole of the international community, cannot accept this.
“I have decided that France will respond without delay and alongside our partners, to the request of the Malian authorities.”
He added: “We will do it strictly in the framework of UN Security Council resolutions and we are ready to stop the terrorist offensive if it continues.”
Mali’s interim president, Dioncounda Traore, will visit Paris on Wednesday for talks with Hollande.


France charges two ex-spies with passing secrets to ‘foreign power’

Updated 25 May 2018
0

France charges two ex-spies with passing secrets to ‘foreign power’

  • Two former French spies, one of whom was reportedly posted in Beijing, have been charged with passing intelligence to a “foreign power,”
  • French media reports, citing sources close to the inquiry, said China is suspected

PARIS: Two former French spies, one of whom was reportedly posted in Beijing, have been charged with passing intelligence to a “foreign power,” a disclosure that has rocked the country’s intelligence services.
Defense Minister Florence Parly, who oversees the country’s General Directorate for External Security (DGSE), said Friday that she was not in a position to identify the country which recruited the agents, who were discovered and indicted in December.
“Two French agents in our service and probably one of the spouses of these agents are accused of serious acts likely to be considered acts of treason, on suspicions of delivering information to a foreign power,” Parly told CNews television.
“I can’t say much else,” she added.
“France has partners but we live in a dangerous world, and unfortunately these types of things can happen.”
French media reports, citing sources close to the inquiry, said China is suspected.
Parly said the agents were “quite likely” still in service at the time but investigators were still determining how long they had been passing along intelligence.
She also declined to specify the nature of compromised information, nor to reveal if the two agents were working together.
A judicial source told AFP late Thursday that two of the three suspects are being prosecuted for “delivering to a foreign power information that undermines the fundamental interests of the nation” and “compromising the secrecy of national defense.”
“One of them has also been charged for direct incitement to the crime of treason,” the source added.
The third person — believed to be the wife — has been indicted for “concealment of treasonable crimes” and placed under judicial control, meaning they are subject to certain constraints pending trial, according to the same source.
The armed forces ministry said: “These acts of extreme gravity have been detected by this service, which has brought these facts to its knowledge to the Paris prosecutor.”