Gasco won’t pay damages



JEDDAH: ARAB NEWS

Published — Friday 7 December 2012

Last update 7 December 2012 12:00 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

Muhammad Al-Shubnan, director general of the National Gas and Industrialization Company (Gasco), said yesterday that his company would not pay for the losses caused by the gas tanker blast that occurred in Riyadh a few weeks ago.
Twenty-two people died and 133 were injured in the accident on Nov. 1 when the driver of a gas tanker lost control and hit the side of an overpass at the inter-junction of Makkah Road with Sheikh Jaber Al-Sabah Road in the capital.
“Investigators have not yet announced their findings. Until then, the company will not bear the losses incurred from the accident,” Al-Shubnan was quoted as saying by Al-Madinah Arabic daily.
The Gasco chief said his company would appeal against the verdict if it were found guilty. “There are courts that protect the rights of all parties and ensure justice for everybody when they face any injustice. We are waiting for the investigation results and on the basis of those results, we will take the next steps.”
Al-Shubnan added: “We cannot take any steps before seeing the investigation report. Naturally, we’ll coordinate with our insurance company that takes up such accidents.”
Asked about the effect of the change of routes for Gasco tankers in Riyadh after the accident, he said it would not affect the company’s efficiency and operation. “We have been meeting the requirements of our clients in the city.
There is no shortage in services. The change in route was aimed at reducing the traffic bottlenecks in Riyadh,” he explained.
Referring to the company’s board meeting and discussions on paying compensations to victims, he said: “Yes, the meeting had discussed the accident among other topics on the agenda. It was not solely for discussing the accident as mentioned by some media organizations. On the contrary, it was a regular meeting of the board and was not aimed at a specific purpose.”
Insurance experts have estimated the total value of damages caused by the tanker blast at SR 300 million. There are seven insurance companies linked with parties affected by the accident. Insurance companies would not be responsible for the thefts that took place soon after the blast, experts warned.
The government set up an investigation soon after the incident that shocked the Kingdom. The panel is composed of senior officials from the Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Finance and Civil Defense, along with other government agencies.
Prince Mohammed bin Saad, deputy governor of Riyadh, said the investigation would find the party responsible for the losses resulting from the blast.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

KUWAIT: Kuwait has detained 26 people suspected of involvement in a suicide bombing on a Shiite mosque last month that killed 27 people, a local daily reported on Monday, quoting the public prosecutor.The June 26 attack by Daesh jolted Kuwait, raisin...
JEDDAH: A small fire broke out on the roof of the Grand Mosque on Monday morning, causing minor injuries to five people, including members of the Civil Defense, one security officer and three workers. The fire broke out at about 2 a.m. and covered an...
RIYADH: Mosques across the Kingdom will conduct midnight prayers (Qiyam Al-Layl) at 1.a.m beginning Tuesday to mark the beginning of the last 10 days of Ramadan.“The special prayers are conducted during the last 10 days of the holy month from 1 a.m.,...
JEDDAH: The director general of the Saudi Industrial Property Authority, Saleh Rasheed, has said that Sadeer Industrial City, which is regarded as one of the largest industrial cities in the Kingdom, possesses great capabilities that sets it apart as...
DAMMAM: Cheap and out of date cosmetics are causing serious health problems in the Kingdom, including skin diseases, hair loss and cancer, local doctors say.These products are often manufactured incorrectly or contain harmful fats, the doctors were q...
JEDDAH: Several young Saudis have started filming Jeddah’s historic district using cameras mounted on drones to gather professional 3D footage that can be used to build models and create virtual tours.Bandar Al-Mutlaq, owner of the Arab Foundation, w...
RIYADH: The Saudi capital is fully geared for this year’s Eid Al-Fitr celebrations that include an exciting bouquet of entertainment, heritage, sports, artistic and theatrical events.The annual Muslim festivities being organized here by the Riyadh mu...
JEDDAH: As part of its growing supervisory and investigative status, Riyadh Health Department’s forensics center examined 632 cases over the past eight months involving suspected murder, rape and abuse of women and children.Khaled bin Muhammad Hassan...
RIYADH: The Syrian Expatriates Medical Association (SEMA) expressed its thanks on Monday to Saudi organizations and individuals for donating to the campaign to help Syrians affected by the ongoing conflict.SEMA has 1,300 members in Syria and other co...
RIYADH: Inclusion of the Hail rock art in the UNESCO World Heritage List is proof of the Kingdom’s status and cultural profoundness, said the Saudi Commission for Tourism and National Heritage (SCTNH) on Monday.Reacting to the announcement of the fou...
JEDDAH: The Yemeni community has asked the Saudi government to extend the rectification process, which ends Tuesday, claiming that there are many thousands still seeking to get proper identification documents to qualify for work visas in the Kingdom....
JEDDAH: The Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs has set up 343 electoral constituencies for the Dec. 12 municipal council elections.This was done on the orders of Abdullatif Al-Sheikh, the minister and head of the General Committee for the Munici...
JEDDAH: Efforts are under way to electronically handle all Haj-related works to achieve speed and accuracy, as well as reduce costs an bring in transparency, Haj Minister Bandar Al-Hajjar has said.Speaking at a workshop in Jeddah on Sunday, Hajjar sa...
JEDDAH: The Board of Trustees of the King Abdullah International Foundation for Charity and Humanitarian Works on Sunday held its third meeting in Jeddah in the presence of Prince Khaled bin Abdullah, the board chairman, and Prince Miteb bin Abdullah...
RIYADH: The Ministry of Health has announced that six people were infected with the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) in the period from June 28 to July 6.The ministry has now recorded 1,045 cases of MERS since June 2012, with 5...

Stay Connected

Facebook