Green light given to launch new charity societies

Updated 08 February 2013
0

Green light given to launch new charity societies

The Ministry of Social Affairs has given the nod for the establishment of new charity organizations after a hiatus of a couple of months in light of new regulations issued in this regard, local media sources reported.
Accordingly, the ministry has approved five new charity societies and one foundation, thus bringing the total number of charity societies and foundations operating in the Kingdom to 628 and 90 respectively.
According to the new regulations, a distance of at least 30 kilometers should be observed between the new charity organizations and the existing ones in different provinces and centers, an official source at the Ministry of Social Affairs was quoted as saying.
He said other conditions required to set up a charity society necessitate that the population of any one community should not be less than 1,500, in addition to the existence of an independent administrative center and that there be no similar charity society in the region.
The department assigned to manage charity organizations at the ministry has begun receiving applications for the establishment of new charity societies according to the new regulations which will facilitate their launching, the source added.
It is to be recalled that Saudi charities used to provide a number of training and rehabilitation programs for the needy, especially widows, divorcees and orphans and other similar categories with the full-fledged support from the Ministry of Social Affairs.


Saudi Arabia’s air defense intercepts Houthi ballistic missile fired towards Jazan

Updated 20 April 2018
0

Saudi Arabia’s air defense intercepts Houthi ballistic missile fired towards Jazan

  • Earlier this week, Saudi air defenses shot down a previous ballistic missile attack by the Houthis
  • The incident happened hours after the coalition warned of a “painful” response if the Houthis mounted new attacks on Saudi Arabia

Saudi air defense forces managed to intercept a ballistic missile fired by Houthi militias from Yemen headed in the direction of Saudi Arabia’s border province of Jazan on Friday.

Earlier this week, Saudi air defenses shot down a previous ballistic missile attack by the Houthis.

Colonel Turki Al-Maliki, the coalition's spokesman, said the missile was monitored by the Saudi Air Force to have been launched from Yemen's Amran province at 10:16 p.m. Monday toward populated areas in the southern Saudi province of Najran.

The missile was intercepted before it could hit its target, Al-Maliki said.

The incident happened hours after the coalition warned of a “painful” response if the Houthis mounted new attacks on Saudi Arabia using what it said were Iran-supplied drones.

So far, the Houthis have launched over 100 missiles at Saudi cities and installations.