Haia to enforce ban on men in lingerie shops next week

Updated 14 February 2013
0

Haia to enforce ban on men in lingerie shops next week

The Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice (Haia) will start next week to implement an agreement, signed with the Ministry of Labor, to enforce a ban on men working at women’s lingerie and accessory shops in the Kingdom.
Haia Chairman Abdul Latif Al-Asheikh was quoted in a local newspaper as saying that Haia members will carry out inspections across the country. “We shall assume this task of inspecting lingerie shops starting next week,” he said.
He said the Haia will record all violations “at shops, shopping centers, malls and markets.” A report on all offenders will be sent to the Ministry of Labor for further action.
He said the grace period agreed with the Ministry of Labor will end in two weeks. “The Haia will follow legitimate procedures to penalize violators and refer them to the competent bodies.”
Al-Asheikh said that the Haia will choose suitably qualified staff members to carry out the inspections. The staffers will act in a rational and patient manner. They will all have relevant legal knowledge and will treat each violation on its merits, he added.
He said that the Haia is implementing Islamic law to protect the dignity of Saudi women and prevent them from being harassed. “The objective is that she works in a safe work environment, suitable to her nature. The aim is to provide women with good job opportunities in compliance with the directives of the Custodian of Two Holy Mosques and the crown prince.”
He said the country’s growing economy has meant that there are many jobs available for Saudis, particularly women.
Al-Asheikh said women all over the world work in lingerie and accessory shops for women, and it was natural for this to happen in Saudi Arabia. He said the Haia will support women citizens in this regard.
Al-Asheikh urged the media to raise awareness about women working. “We shall extend help to women so that they can progress with their small and medium enterprises, find jobs to earn a decent livelihood and participate in the economic growth of our country.”
Al-Asheikh recently signed an agreement with Labor Minister Adel Fakeih to support all job creation projects for women and to ban men from working at lingerie shops.
Under the agreement, shops were given a grace period of one month to comply. It also states that women should contact the Haia or the security authorities if they are harassed or blackmailed.
Dina Abu Addouh, employment official at Alshaya company, said the company has already recruited women employees at all its cosmetics and lingerie shops. All men who were working at the lingerie and cosmetic shops were transferred to other Alshaya outlets.
A salesman at Sephora, an outlet for beauty products and makeup, said the management assigned women employees to makeup and perfume sections. The salesmen are responsible for men’s perfumes and other products.
A saleswoman at The Body Shop said women operate the whole store. Some men employees resigned while others were promoted or given administrative jobs, she added.


More than 1.25 million foreigners arrested in KSA for flouting residential, labor laws

In this file photo, expatriate workers are seen outside a Labor Ministry office in Riyadh to fix their status in the Kingdom. In the past seven months, Saudi authorities have arrested more than 1.25 foreigners for violating residential and labor laws. (AFP)
Updated 19 June 2018
0

More than 1.25 million foreigners arrested in KSA for flouting residential, labor laws

  • Of the total arrested, 931,069 were violators of residential regulations,  218,897 for flouting labor laws and 102,000 tried to gain entry into the Kingdom illegally.
  • The crackdown started on November 16 last year and ended on June 14.

JEDDAH: More than 1.25 million people were arrested in Saudi Arabia for violating residential, labor and border security regulations during the Kingdom’s months-long campaign.

The crackdown, which started on November 16 last year and ended on June 14, saw the arrests of 1,251,966 people in the joint security field campaign across the Kingdom. Those arrested included 931,069 violators of residential regulations, 218,897 for flouting labor laws and 102,000 violators of border security regulations.

The total number of people arrested attempting to cross the Kingdom’s borders stood at 19,233 people. Of those arrested, 54 percent were Yemenis, 43 percent Ethiopian, and 3 percent from other nations. 

The Kingdom also arrested 790 people who tried to leave the Kingdom illegally.

There were 2,167 people who were arrested for harboring and transporting violators of labor and security border regulations, and 415 citizens were arrested for transporting and sheltering expatriates violating regulations. Regulatory measures were taken against 388 citizens who were subsequently released. 

The number of expatriates currently detained stands at 10,245, including 8,817 men and 1,428 women. Immediate penalties were imposed on 221,404 violators while 177,329 violators were referred to their respective diplomatic missions for travel documents and 327,034 were deported.