Haiti faces food shortage after Sandy



AGENCE FRANCE PRESSE

Published — Saturday 3 November 2012

Last update 3 November 2012 1:36 am

| نسخة PDF Send to Friend Print News | A A

NEW YORK: Impoverished Haiti, still recovering from the 2010 earthquake, now has a million-plus people who cannot get enough to eat because of damage from superstorm Sandy, the UN says.
The storm killed more than 50 people in Haiti as it churned through the Caribbean last week on its way to a deadly and destructive blast along the US East Coast.
Relief workers are still trying to make a full assessment of Sandy's ugly footprint on Haiti. But for now it is known the storm destroyed, damaged or flooded the homes of up to 20,000 people, said Johan Peleman, head of the UN relief office in Haiti, in comments published Friday on the UN website.
Northern Haiti endured a long drought this year, and took a hit from Hurricane Isaac in August. Now there are fears that harvests being collected in the south of the country have been destroyed by Sandy.
"With the south being hit now, we are going to face in the next couple of months very serious problems of malnutrition and food insecurity," Peleman said on UN radio.
The grim picture comes as much of the world's attention is focused on the deaths and spectacular damage wrought by Sandy in the United States.
In Haiti there were still 350,000 people living in tent camps set up after the 2010 earthquake. They were evacuated before Sandy, but the storm destroyed much of the fragile housing in those camps, the official added.

Events & Exhibitions

Stay Connected

Facebook