Hamas chief backs Palestinian UN bid
Hamas chief backs Palestinian UN bid
“Khaled Meshaal... held a telephone conversation with Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas in which he affirmed that Hamas welcomes the step of going to the United Nations for state observer status,” said the statement.
The statement, released just three days before Abbas is due to ask the UN General Assembly in New York to upgrade Palestinian representation, came after Hamas members in Gaza last week denied offering the president their backing. But both Meshaal and fellow political bureau member Izzat Al-Rishq said yesterday that they supported the decision to go before the United Nations, though they warned it should not “compromise” Palestinian “constants and rights.”
“This move must be in the context of a vision and national strategy to maintain the national constants and rights and based on elements of power in the hands of our Palestinian people, the first of which is the resistance,” Meshaal’s statement said.
In his statement, Rishq said he “welcomed” the UN bid but warned it should not “sacrifice or compromise any inch of Palestinian land from the (Mediterranean) sea to the (Jordan) river.”
On Thursday, the movement in Gaza had denied reports that Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniya had offered his backing for the UN bid in a telephone call with Abbas.
“It is not true,” Hamas spokesman Taher Al-Nunu said in a statement last Thursday evening, adding “the media should be more careful.”
And on Saturday, Mahmud Zahar, a Gaza-based Hamas senior official who has often taken stances at odds with those of the leadership-in-exile, said the bid was “recognition of an official waiver of the 1948 borders.”
But after Meshaal and Rishq’s comments, the tone from Gaza appeared to have softened.
Hamas “supports any diplomatic step which will get something more for the Palestinian people,” Gaza Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri told AFP.
“But we say it is very important to have a national vision for supporting the resistance and Palestinian rights,” he stressed.
Abbas is set to ask for state observer status for the Palestinians on Thursday, a little over a year after a failed bid to secure full state membership.
That request stalled in the Security Council, where it has been blocked by the United States, a permanent member and veto holder in the council.
Israel and Washington both oppose the new bid for enhanced UN status for the Palestinians, but the bid is expected to easily win the required majority in the General Assembly.
On Sunday, Abbas said he was “fully confident” ahead of the new application.
“We are going to the UN fully confident in our steps. We will have our rights because you are with us,” he told a crowd of around 1,000 people demonstrating in support of the bid.
Abbas said the attempt to secure upgraded status was backed by many UN member states and by all the Palestinian political factions.
He said the UN move would be followed by steps to bridge the bitter political divide between his Fatah movement and its rival Hamas. “Today, the UN. After that, reconciliation, and after that, our own state,” he said.
Cyclone Mekunu heads for popular Omani resort after pummeling UNESCO-protected Socotra island
- Cyclone Mekunu hit the Yemeni island of Socotra Wednesday night, causing severe flooding and damage to houses
- Six boats lost, at least 11 people missing as cyclone Mekunu heads towards Oman
DUBAI: Oman’s popular tourist destination Salalah could be pounded by winds of up to 165 kilometers per hour if Cyclone Mekunu continues on its current path, a weather expert has told Arab News.
The cyclone – which has already pummeled Yemen’s UNESCO-protected Socotra island – has intensified to category 2 with winds reaching speeds of up to 170kph.
The Omani meteorology center issued a statement on Friday morning stating that the tropical cyclone was around 200km away from the southern city of Salalah.
Strong gale winds and heavy rainfall are expected to hit the costal areas of Dhofar on Friday the statement read, with warnings of flooding.
Salalah Port has been evacuated and will remain closed for the next 72 hours. While maximum wave height has been predicted to go as high as 12 meters with expected rising sea level.
Director of Meteology at the UAE weather center, Mohamad Al-Ebri, said on Thursday that if the cyclone continues on its current path, it could reach Salalah on Saturday morning.
“If this happens and the cyclone is still a category 2, then Salalah could be hit by the full force of the storm,” Al-Ebri explained.
Salalah International Airport will close for a duration of 24 hours from midnight on Thursday due to the cyclone.
#Mekunu now a very severe cyclonic storm passing east of #Socotra. Storm will make landfall near the #Yemen/#Oman border on Saturday. Flooding and wind damage likely with widespread rainfall over 250mm (10 inches) along the border. pic.twitter.com/A9PixYHWAc— Jason Nicholls (@jnmet) May 23, 2018
Hundreds of people were evacuated from their homes after the Cyclone hit the Yemeni island of Socotra on Wednesday night, causing severe flooding and damage to houses, officials said.
The governement declared the island a “disaster area”, calling for urgent assistance to those affected by the floods.
There were also reports of six boats which sank – four at sea and two in the port – as the cyclone passed.
There are at least 17 people missing, with conflicting reports of fatalities.
The Government declares Socotra a disaster area. Urgent assistance is needed to people who affected by the floods. pic.twitter.com/t6Qoy65TE7— Yemen Embassy Vienna (@ViennaYemen) May 24, 2018
Another official said 150 families had been evacuated and moved to government facilities after downpours caused houses and streets to flood, trapping people in their homes.
Some residents carrying children tried to escape through the flooded streets, an AFP correspondent said.
Mohammed Saeed Hameed Assistant of the Under Secretary of the National Center of Meteorology of Yemen (NCMY), told Arab News there had been a number of warnings sent out in the last week.But he said not everyone had been aware of the cyclone as it approached.
“We have notified people, however the problem is the information does not always reach everyone, like those who were out at sea…. Two boats have sunk and 11 people are missing,” Hameed told Arab News.
More updates from the #CycloneMekunu in #Socotra. So far 17 people dead and over 200 families moved and 2 ships drowned off the island. One of the most devastating cyclones akin to the one #Socotra experienced in 2015, which destroyed much of its roads and infrastructure. pic.twitter.com/H2tMUZKKQF— Fatima Alasrar (@YemeniFatima) May 23, 2018
“There is a lot of false information being shared on social media,” Hameed warned. “People must get the correct information from officials such as ourselves.”
He said already the northeast and east sections of Socotra was the worst affected.
He said they expected the storm to reach the coastal cities of Yemen in Mahrah, Hadramaut and then on towards Salalah.
“We urge local officials in coastal towns to warn people of the cyclone. They must alert schools, mosques, hospitals and local community centers.”
Oman prepares for the worst, hopes for the best
In neighboring Oman, authorities announced through the official news agency they were taking “necessary precautions” in case the cyclone hits the Gulf sultanate.
Rainfall had already been reported on Thursday afternoon in the province of Dhofar, southern Oman.
James Hewitson, general manager of the five-star hotel Al-Baleed Resort Salalah by Anantara, told Arab News they were expecting the situation to worsen over the coming days.
“The wind has picked up since this morning.”
He said the hotel staff were preparing for the worst outcome, ensuring there was enough fuel to power the generators, should the main electricity supply be cut.
“We have taken all precautions in terms of securing all areas of the building to keep our guests safe,” Hewitson explained.
He said the hotel was well stocked for food and water and that at least one of the restaurants would remain open.
“We have about 50 guests staying with us at the moment,” Hewitson told Arab News. “Some are leaving tonight, some have chosen to leave and we are offering to compensate them with our sister hotels across Oman”
“At the end of today I expect I will have something between 40 to 50 guests staying… We have 250 staff members.”
He explained that representatives from the Ministry of Tourism had visited in the morning.
“We have already taken down our outdoors furniture, and anything that is not bolted down has been put away so that the winds don’t blow them into anyone and hurt people like glass tables or umbrellas.”
And he added that Muscat civil defense had sent a team to support in Salalah.
“We have taken all precautions in terms of securing all areas of the building to keep our guests safe.”
“Calm before the storm”
People were advised to avoid going out to sea following warnings off Oman’s southern and south coast of rough conditions with waves reaching heights of between five to eight meters.
Speaking to Arab News from Salalah, event organizer Abdulaziz Ahmed Yousuf Al-Amri said people were preparing for the worst.
“There are some parts of Salalah that have heavy rain… The weather is okay at the moment - but it feels like this is the calm before the storm.”
“We are praying that it will not be bad and will pass without any major impact.”
“But everyone is worried about what might happen, so they are getting ready,” Al-Amri added.“They are stocking up on water and food, just in case something bad does happen… They are putting gas in their cars.”
(Additional reporting by Peter Harrison, Rommer M. Balaba and AFP)