Head of center for disabled sacked after inmate's death

Updated 09 June 2012
0

Head of center for disabled sacked after inmate's death

The Ministry of Social Affairs has taken disciplinary action against the director and some staff members of the Madinah Comprehensive Rehabilitation Center for the Disabled after they were found responsible for the situation that led to the mysterious death of an inmate last Saturday.
Abdullah Al-Yusuf, undersecretary for social care at the ministry, said the director of the center has been relieved of his duty and a new director appointed. The director was also deprived of a cash allowance amounting to 35 percent of his salary.
There would be salary cut for two observers of the center for negligence of duty. A 20-day salary cut has been imposed on one member while the second member faces a 15-day pay cut.
Al-Yusuf said some staff members have been dismissed from service and they will be under detention until framing of charges. They include employees and a nurse from the establishment, which is in charge of undertaking personal care of the inmates, as well as the security guard at the rear gate and driver of the tanker.
They are barred from being employed at any other center. The establishment, which is tasked to undertake personal care, cleaning and maintenance of the center as per the contract, was also asked to pay SR 300,000 in fine for dereliction of duty. Al-Yusuf said that actions were taken in line with the findings of a three-member committee formed by the ministry to investigate the death of the disabled. The victim had snuck out of the center early Saturday morning when the rear gates were opened for the entry of a water truck.
The police were called in when the inmate was found missing and he was found dead the following morning inside a septic tank.
Referring to the steps taken to address the problem of shortage of staff at the center, Al-Yusuf said more doctors, nursing staff, supervisors and security guards have been appointed, in addition to making available more facilities for various sections, including nursing, natural treatment, dental care, personal care and cleaning.
A committee, headed by Al-Yusuf, has been constituted to make available the required furniture, medical equipment and instruments at the center.


Saudi Arabia’s air defense intercepts Houthi ballistic missile fired towards Jazan

Updated 20 April 2018
0

Saudi Arabia’s air defense intercepts Houthi ballistic missile fired towards Jazan

  • Earlier this week, Saudi air defenses shot down a previous ballistic missile attack by the Houthis
  • The incident happened hours after the coalition warned of a “painful” response if the Houthis mounted new attacks on Saudi Arabia

Saudi air defense forces managed to intercept a ballistic missile fired by Houthi militias from Yemen headed in the direction of Saudi Arabia’s border province of Jazan on Friday.

Earlier this week, Saudi air defenses shot down a previous ballistic missile attack by the Houthis.

Colonel Turki Al-Maliki, the coalition's spokesman, said the missile was monitored by the Saudi Air Force to have been launched from Yemen's Amran province at 10:16 p.m. Monday toward populated areas in the southern Saudi province of Najran.

The missile was intercepted before it could hit its target, Al-Maliki said.

The incident happened hours after the coalition warned of a “painful” response if the Houthis mounted new attacks on Saudi Arabia using what it said were Iran-supplied drones.

So far, the Houthis have launched over 100 missiles at Saudi cities and installations.