Hungarian FA to appeal FIFA racism ruling

Updated 09 January 2013
0

Hungarian FA to appeal FIFA racism ruling

BUDAPEST: The Hungarian Football Association will appeal FIFA’s decision to ban fans from attending the country’s World Cup qualifying game against Romania in March because of a racist incident last year.
The punishment followed anti-Semitic chanting by fans in a friendly at home against Israel in August, for which the Hungarian FA (MLSZ) expressed regret, but it was unhappy with the ruling to play the 2014 World Cup Group D qualifier behind closed doors.
“That the Hungarian national team must serve its punishment at a vital game in the most prestigious international tournament for an incident at a friendly game seems overly harsh and unfair even before receiving the precise reasoning,” the MLSZ said.
“Therefore MLSZ will file its appeal after it receives the ruling in order for a more just decision in proportion to what happened (in August).” The MLSZ added it wrote a letter after the August friendly to the Israeli ambassador in Hungary and the Israeli Football Association and FIFA to apologize, in which it “condemned the actions of a minority of fans at the game.” “Considering the extremists behavior experienced at the game, FIFA’s actions against such incidents is understandable,” the MLSZ added in the statement released on Tuesday, having canceled a previously scheduled interview with Reuters.
“MLSZ — like FIFA and UEFA — is still determined to expel from the stadiums hateful acts and fan behavior that do not adhere to the spirit of fair play.
“It is committed to making sure extremist voices that do not adhere to civilized norms disappear from Hungarian football fields as soon as possible.” On top of the anti-Semitic chanting last August, Hungarian fans also waved Iranian flags at the Israeli team, who were warned of a “severe threat” to their safety.
Hungary and Romania, who meet on March 22, are locked on nine points from four games, three behind group leaders Netherlands and six ahead of any challengers for second spot.
Given the importance of the game there were contrasting reactions in Budapest and Bucharest.


The world's eyes are on Mohamed Salah as hopeful Egypt take on Russia

Updated 19 June 2018
0

The world's eyes are on Mohamed Salah as hopeful Egypt take on Russia

  • Egypt are counting on the return of Mohamed Salah on Tuesday as they face Russia
  • The Liverpool wizard missed his team’s 1-0 defeat to Uruguay on Friday

SAINT PETERSBURG: Egypt are counting on the return of Mohamed Salah on Tuesday as they try to salvage their World Cup against a Russian side who know a win could seal a place in the last 16.
Liverpool wizard Salah missed his team’s 1-0 defeat to Uruguay on Friday as he struggles to recover from the shoulder injury he sustained during last month’s Champions League Final.
Salah’s shoulder has continued to cause him problems in Russia, and at the weekend he needed the help of three team-mates to put a shirt on during a training session in Grozny.
Egypt’s Argentine coach Hector Cuper said on Monday Salah was fit to play but will undergo a test before kick-off in Saint Petersburg.
“I hope he will be fit to play, I’m sure he will be able to play. He is a central piece in our team,” Cuper said.
If Egypt lose, it will likely end their competitive involvement in their first World Cup since 1990, so 96 million Egyptians are willing him to be on the pitch.
Russia coach Stanislav Cherchesov was bullish that his team can rein in the explosive striker, who scored 44 goals in a remarkable debut season at Liverpool.
“We know how to play against him,” he said. “We are ready to stop Salah and we will.”
Russia got their World Cup off to the perfect start on Thursday with a 5-0 thrashing of Saudi Arabia, but are under no illusions that the seven-time African champions pose a far tougher test — providing Salah plays.
“Egypt’s game with Salah is different from the one they play without him,” forward Alexei Miranchuk said.