Indian film controversy resolved

Updated 04 February 2013
0

Indian film controversy resolved

Fans of Indian movies in Gulf countries can now look forward to watching the controversial film Vishwaroopam as it is finally poised for release in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu with some cuts.
It happened after the actor Kamal Hassan and Muslim groups opposed to it reached a settlement during the state-government brokered talks.
The film is expected to be released in Tamil Nadu as early as Friday. “We will immediately arrange to announce the date of release after consultations, including with technical team,” the actor said.
Hassan agreed to delete seven scenes from his latest spy thriller, which several Muslim groups objected to for its portrayal of Islam.
The Tamil Nadu government had banned the film in the state following protests.
Islamic groups have promised to call off their protests against the film and withdraw legal cases that they have filed against the filmmaker.
Hassan is the producer, director and star of the film, which was released abroad and in some Indian states on Jan. 25. The film has received a tremendous response in states where it has been released and has earned favorable reviews from film critics.
The film has been made in the Tamil, Telugu and Hindi languages.
It had been cleared by India’s Censor Board before the Muslim groups raised objections to some scenes prompting the Tamil Nadu government’s ban. That decision was followed by similar bans on the film in Sri Lanka and Malaysia.


Malaysia mosque bans tourists after ‘sexy dance’ goes viral

Updated 25 June 2018
0

Malaysia mosque bans tourists after ‘sexy dance’ goes viral

KUALA LUMPUR: A Malaysian mosque has banned tourists after a video of two female visitors in skimpy outfits dancing in front of the Muslim holy site went viral online.
The pair, of East Asian appearance and believed to be foreigners, were filmed doing the dance in skimpy shorts and tops exposing their midriffs on a wall outside the main mosque in the city of Kota Kinabalu, a popular site for visitors and tour groups.
Residents and local Muslim groups were incensed by the risqué moves outside the holy site on Borneo island, which is renowned for its huge blue and gold dome and ornate minarets.
An outraged onlooker can be heard in the video saying: “Why don’t they just fall off the wall?”
Mosque chairman Jamal Sakaran at the weekend slammed “the unacceptable behavior by foreign tourists” and announced a temporary halt to any tourists visiting the mosque in Sabah state, adding the move was to preserve the sanctity of Islam.
The nationality of the women involved was not clear.
State Tourism Minister Christina Liew told The Star newspaper legal action would not be taken against the pair as they were likely unaware of the severity of their actions. But authorities wanted to track them down to explain “that something they deemed as ‘fun’ was actually disrespectful and not right in Sabah.”
Large numbers of tourists — both local and foreign — visit the mosque, often during a brief stop in Kota Kinabalu before heading into the jungles of Sabah to see the jungle-clad state’s abundance of wildlife.
Tourists can usually visit mosques in Muslim-majority Malaysia, where most practice a moderate form of Islam, but are advised to wear modest clothing.
It is not the first time that foreign visitors have landed in hot water for disrespecting local culture in Sabah.
In 2015 four Western tourists pleaded guilty to obscenity charges for taking nude photos on popular peak Mount Kinabalu, an act some in the country blamed for causing a deadly earthquake.