Injured Duminy hopeful of recovery



THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published — Tuesday 13 November 2012

Last update 12 November 2012 10:55 pm

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

BRISBANE: South Africa batsman JP Duminy is remaining positive after the “freakish” injury that ruled him out of the test series against Australia and could sideline him from all cricket for six months.
Duminy ruptured his left Achilles tendon during a warm-down session following the opening day’s play of the first Test at the Gabba on Friday. He had an operation to reattach the tendon this weekend but faces a lengthy recovery period of between four and six months.
“I’m still quite young, I still have a long career ahead of me,” Duminy said yesterday. “I’m quite positive about these types of things, over the next four to six months it’s about me putting in the hard work again and making sure I come back to full strength.” The 28-year-old batsman said he hurt himself changing direction during training runs on the pitch. He initially thought he had been hit by a ball before realizing the extent of the injury.
“It was a bit freakish,” Duminy said. “Initially I thought the ball hit me at the back of the foot or somebody slapped me because I heard a clicking sound, but when I turned around and saw that there was nobody behind me I knew that something was wrong.” Duminy, who has established himself as an important part of the top-ranked Proteas Test team, is also set to miss home series against New Zealand and Pakistan early next year.
He was due to return home soon but was tweeting from his hospital bed in Brisbane before and after his surgery on Saturday, thanking teammates and fans for their messages and support.
“Night spent in hospital and been taken well care of, gonna be watching the game from my room today!” Duminy wrote on Twitter as he followed the remainder of the opening Test.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman arrived here yesterday evening on an official visit to the United States of America at the invitation of the US President Barack Obama.At Andrews Air Force Base Airport, he was received by US Secretary of...
JEDDAH: The government has banned the use of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) for cooking at the holy sites during the Haj this year. Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Mohammed bin Naif, interior minister and president of the Supreme Haj Committee,...
RIYADH: The government plans to pay SR500,000 in compensation to the family of every person, regardless of nationality, who died from the deadly Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus in the Kingdom, the Ministry of Health announced on T...
RIYADH: The Ministry of Health has launched a program to vaccinate all public and private sector workers on Haj duty this year.Launching the program at the ministry’s headquarters here on Thursday, Tarif Al-Ama, undersecretary for treatment services...
JEDDAH: Makkah Gov. Prince Khaled Al-Faisal was briefed Thursday about Murooj Jeddah residential project, located in the eastern part of the governorate. Representatives of the Jeddah Development and Urban Regeneration Company, the executing company...
ANKARA: The Kingdom plans to highlight the country’s economic progress and influence globally at the meeting of G-20 Ministers of Labor and Employment here this week, said Mufrej Al-Haqabani, Saudi Arabia’s labor minister. In a statement to the Saudi...

Stay Connected

Facebook