Inter fined for racist chanting, offensive banners



Agence France Presse

Published — Tuesday 26 February 2013

Last update 26 February 2013 9:29 pm

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

MILAN: Inter Milan have been fined and warned about their supporters’ future conduct after racist chanting was heard during the derby with city rivals AC Milan, the Italian top flight said on Tuesday.
Serie A said Inter would have to pay 50,000 ($66,000) for its fans’ repeated “expressions of racial discrimination to a player of the opposing team” and the unfurling of insulting banners, despite multiple warnings by stadium officials.
The fine was also for the use of a laser pen against a player.
The league at the same time slapped AC Milan with a 10,000-euro after its fans displayed offensive slogans during Sunday’s match, which ended 1-1. Both clubs were told to work more closely with police and other authorities to stamp out the problem.
No specific mention was made in the league’s bulletin that the taunts were directed at Milan forward Mario Balotelli, who was making his first appearance in a derby at the San Siro since he left Inter for Manchester City.
Some hardcore Inter fans were seen waving inflatable bananas during the game while monkey noises were also heard, although they were drowned out by whistles.
It was not clear whether the gestures and chanting were directed at Balotelli or Milan’s other black players Sulley Muntari, Kevin Prince Boateng and Cristian Zapata.
But Balotelli — who had been praised for not reacting to the taunts — was hit with a 10,000-euro fine for making an “insulting gesture” toward fans at the end of the contest.
Italy has been in the spotlight for its handling of racist incidents at football matches since Prince-Boateng stormed off the pitch in a friendly between Milan and lower-league side Pro Patria in January following abuse from some fans.
The match was abandoned and Boateng won plaudits worldwide for his stand.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: A number of prominent Saudi women have cited several reasons for not running as candidates in the upcoming municipal elections. Some of them are an alleged lack of clarity on nominations and voting; they are too busy; and they want to make wa...
ALKHOBAR: A short circuit involving a transformer in the basement of the residential complex of Saudi Aramco resulted in the fire on Sunday, according to a preliminary probe.The blaze continued for over five hours in the residential towers. The fire...
JEDDAH: At the weekly Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Prince Mohammed bin Naif briefed the Cabinet on the talks held by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman with President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi of Yemen,...
JEDDAH: Private schools have been devising new ways to raise money from parents to circumvent the Education Ministry’s cap on fee increases, a local publication reported here recently.Schools now charge for services that do not require the ministry’s...
JEDDAH: Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, Minister of Interior and Chairman of the Supreme Haj Committee Prince Mohammed bin Naif has approved the general plan for implementation of Civil Defense works in emergency cases during the current Haj...
RIYADH: The government has shut down a cosmetics factory in Riyadh for using undisclosed raw materials and unhygienic process at its production facility.A team from the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, during a routine inspection, found the plant u...

Stay Connected

Facebook