Klitschko retains world heavyweight belts



ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published — Monday 12 November 2012

Last update 12 November 2012 6:04 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

HAMBURG: Wladimir Klitschko had to go the distance to defend his WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight belts by decision against Mariusz Wach of Poland on Saturday.
The 2.02-meter (6-foot-7 1/2) Wach was the tallest opponent Klitschko faced in his 16-year professional career but offered little threat against the faster and 2-kilo (4-pound) lighter Ukrainian.
The judges scored it 120-107, 120-107 and 119-109 to Klitschko, who was troubled only at the end of the fifth round, when Wach surprised him with a right hook before a flurry of punches left the defending champion on the ropes.
"He caught me in the fifth, but then I slipped," said Klitschko, who was left with a small cut under his left eye and must have been relieved to hear the bell.
Klitschko left the 32-year-old Wach wobbling in the seventh with a devastating right blow followed by a series of combinations. Wach somehow hung on.
The two-time Polish champion was clearly in trouble in the next, when Klitschko was delivering punches at will and it seemed only a matter of time before he ended it.
Wach displayed incredible stamina to continue, but his only hope was for a lucky punch that never came.
"That was the hardest fight of my career," said Wach, who dropped to 27-1 (15 KOs) after his first loss. "I want to apologize to everyone for not living up to expectations. I really wanted to win. Thank you so much to my family."
The 36-year-old Klitschko said Wach "boxed brilliantly."
Klitschko improved to 59-3 (51 KOs) after his first bout since the death of his longtime trainer and friend Emanuel Steward.
"I want to remember one man, who can't be here today unfortunately. Emanuel Steward, we miss you, we're thinking of you," Klitschko said.
Fans also paid tribute to the late American before the bout when the bell was rung 10 times in his memory. Steward, who was in Klitschko's corner for nine years, died at the age of 68 on Oct. 25.
"It was hard for (Wladimir), very hard," said Vitali Klitschko referring to his younger brother's preparations following Steward's death.
The older Klitschko, who holds the WBC belt, said the fight "was unbelievably brutal. (Wach) just didn't want to fall. He somehow kept standing."
Sylvester Stallone greeted fans beforehand as part of the promotional campaign for the Rocky musical which opens in Hamburg on Nov. 18.
Mares keeps crown with decision
over Moreno
In Los Angeles, Mexico's unbeaten Abner Mares retained his World Boxing Council super bantamweight title Saturday with a unanimous decision over Panama's Anselmo Moreno at the Staples Center.
Mares, keen to keep World Boxing Association bantamweight world champion Moreno from finding his groove, attacked relentlessly and sent the challenger to the canvas in the fifth round -- the first time Moreno had been knocked down in his career.
Two judges scored it 116-110 and the third saw it 120-106 for Mares, a former bantamweight world champion who was making the first defence of the belt he claimed with a unanimous decision over Eric Morel in El Paso, Texas, in April.
Moreno fell to 33-2-1 with 12 knockouts and said he thought the fight was closer than the scores indicated.
Mares, however, said he wasn't surprised by the decisive nod from the judges.
"I felt my pressure, my aggression, was getting the best of Anselmo," Mares said. "He was just backing up. The only time he was taking advantage and taking control of the fight was when I was waiting too long."
Mares, who improved to 25-0 with one draw and 13 knockouts, said his strategy was to keep the technically skilled Moreno from finding his rhythm, otherwise, Mares said, "he'll pick you apart".
Mares now has his sights set on Nonito Donaire, the "Filipino Flash" who is scheduled to defend his World Boxing Organization super bantamweight crown against Mexico's Jorge Arce on December 15 in Houston.
"I want to fight Nonito Donaire," Mares said. "That's the only guy to fight. We want to fight the best."
On the undercard, Mexico's Leo Santa Cruz retained his International Boxing Federation bantamweight world title with an impressive ninth-round stoppage of game compatriot Victor Zaleta.
Santa Cruz knocked down Zaleta with a left hook in the fourth round and sent him down with a combination in the seventh.
Despite taking a battering, Zaleta kept pressing forward, but when Santa Cruz caught him with a hard right that knocked him down again the referee called a halt at 1:42 of the ninth.
Santa Cruz, making the second defense of the title he won with a unanimous decision over South African Vusi Malinga on June 2, improved to 22-0-1 with 13 knockouts. Zaleta fell to 20-3-1.
Unbeaten Welsh fighter Nathan Cleverly retained his World Boxing Organization light heavyweight title with a convincing eighth-round stoppage of Shawn Hawk.
Cleverly, fighting in the United States for the first time, improved to 25-0 with his 12th win inside the distance.
He dominated from the opening bell and sent Hawk to the canvas twice in the seventh round and again in the next before referee Tony Crebs called a halt one minute and 53 seconds into the eighth round.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

RIYADH: Three citizens, aged above 65, and a 32-year-old expatriate have died of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) in Riyadh raising the death toll to 471 in Saudi Arabia since June 2012, the Ministry of Health said on Tuesday.It also reported...
JEDDAH: Five hospitals and health centers across the Kingdom have been ranked among the 10 top hospitals in the Arab World, according to the Webometrics Ranking of World Hospitals 2015 conducted by Cybermetrics Lab. King Faisal Specialist Hospital an...
RIYADH: The children of the martyrs and wounded soldiers will be given preference for jobs in the organization, KACST President Prince Turki bin Saud Bin Mohammad Al-Saud said Riyadh on Tuesday.On an initiative from the Ministry of Education, a two-d...
JEDDAH: The laboratory of Al-Amal Complex for Mental Health was recently ranked fifth in the RIQAS program for biochemistry out of 120 laboratories. It also came in sixth in the same program for the department of hematology among the 60 participants,...
RIYADH: Anticipating high temperatures during the Haj season, the Ministry of Health has made arrangements to install more equipment to treat heatstroke patients among pilgrims, Health Ministry spokesman Khaled Al-Mirghalani said following a meeting...
RIYADH: The National Water Company (NWC) has added a new feather to its cap by launching an e-branch (website www.nwc.com.sa) to serve the customers around the clock.The NWC, which aims to become the leading water utility in the Gulf that comes under...
DAMMAM: Traffic regulations in the Kingdom and many countries of the world dedicate the right lane of highways and roads to trucks as they are designed to carry heavy weights in contrast to the other lanes, which are allocated for lighter weight vehi...
RIYADH: The solar-power plant, “Layla,” in Aflaj province, will be opened shortly, Saleh Al-Awaji, chairman of Saudi Electricity Company (SEC), has said.The Saudi Electricity Company (SEC) is one of the signatories, along with King Abdulaziz City for...
RIYADH: The expanded facility for machine readable passports (MRPs) at the Embassy of Pakistan will help the mission process over 1,200 applications on daily basis. The new setup was inaugurated on Tuesday.Saudi Arabia hosts the largest Pakistan comm...
RIYADH: The Saudi Standards, Metrology and Quality Organization (SASO) has directed manufacturers and their agents in the Kingdom to strictly follow the safety regulations for the new cars to be marketed to the Kingdom beginning 2017.In a statement r...
RIYADH: The Ministry of Social Affairs recently honored 20 academically gifted orphans whom it had earlier sent to Japan for ten days to visit attractions that include cultural and educational institutions. Ministry of Social Affairs Undersecretary D...
JEDDAH: Prince Bandar bin Abdullah, member of the board of trustees of King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz International Foundation for Humanitarian Action, spoke at the World Scout Jamboree in Japan. He expressed his gratitude and appreciation for the invi...
JEDDAH: The Ministry of Health has issued a circular to all health sector employees to ensure they sterilize their hands prior to dealing with patients.The circular, issued by Deputy Minister for Public Health Dr. Abdul Aziz Abdullah bin Saeed, is in...
JEDDAH: The Indonesian Consulate and community have been conducting their 70th Independence Day celebrations for the past three months by having different cultural and social activities. On Tuesday, the consulate arranged a blood donation camp with t...
JEDDAH: The Specialized Penal Court in Jeddah on Tuesday issued a preliminary verdict on the imprisonment of two Saudi suspects to 38 years.The first suspect was charged with firing on the police center in Awamiyah, Qatif Province, while the other wa...

Stay Connected

Facebook