Kuwait to investigate two mega projects



AGENCE FRANCE PRESSE

Published — Thursday 7 February 2013

Last update 6 February 2013 11:47 pm

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

KUWAIT CITY: Kuwait’s Parliament yesterday voted to form a special panel to probe allegations of irregularities in two contracts worth $ 5.0 billion awarded to two foreign-led consortia.
Twenty-three MPs voted for the proposal, which was rejected by the government, against 20 members who opposed it. The five-MP panel must conclude its probe within three months.
A number of MPs claimed that political bargaining and secret deals were involved in the awarding of the Subbiya Causeway and Al-Zour North Power Plant a few months ago to South Korean, French and Japanese contractors.
The first contract, awarded to South Korea’s Hyundai Engineering and Construction Co. and the local Combined Group Contracting Co., calls for building a 37.5 km (23 mile) causeway to link Kuwait City with Subbiya area in north Kuwait at a cost of $ 2.6 billion.
The second is for building a power and water desalination plant in Al-Zour area, south of Kuwait City for $ 2.5 billion to produce 1,500 megawatt of electricity and over 100 million gallons of drinking water daily.
Minister of Electricity, Water and Public Works Abdulaziz Al-Ibraheem warned MPs that the probe panel will send a “wrong message to investors” especially to foreign contractors.
He said if the power plant project is not implemented on time, Kuwait will be forced to resort to scheduled power cuts next year.
Kuwait has a production capacity of 13,000 MW now while its consumption, which grows 800-900 MW annually, was around 12,000 MW last year.
“By next year, we will have zero reserve capacity without the project and we will be forced to adopt programmed cuts,” the minister said.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

Arab News Editor in Chief Mohammed Fahad Al-Harthi hosted a banquet for editors in chief of local print and online publications, Shoura Council members, representative of the Ministry of Culture and Information, prominent writers and columnists in Je...
JEDDAH: Health workers from Riyadh’s National Guard hospital would not be allowed to perform Haj this year, or work at the holy sites, the Ministry of Health has announced.Hail Al-Abdali, head of the ministry’s infection control unit, was reportedly...
JEDDAH: The Minister of Municipal and Rural Affairs Abdul Lateef Al-Asheikh has introduced new legislative amendments to allow voters to produce a range of identity documents so that they can register for the upcoming elections.Al-Asheikh amended Art...
RIYADH: Construction on the multibillion-riyal Riyadh Metro is well under way with several giant drilling machines working overtime to ensure that underground tunnels for the project are completed on schedule.The Arriyadh Development Authority (ADA)...
JEDDAH: Officials from the Saudi Ministry of Haj have been holding meetings with their counterparts from Arab and South Asian nations in preparation for this year’s pilgrimage.Abdulrahman bin Ali Al-Nafei, assistant deputy minister of Haj and in char...
RIYADH: Four polling stations in Tabuk have stopped registering voters for the Dec. 12 municipal elections in the region.Ibrahim bin Ahmed Al-Ghabban, undersecretary at the Tabuk municipality and member of the local committee for the election of a mu...

Stay Connected

Facebook