Published — Friday 11 January 2013
Last update 11 January 2013 10:22 pm
KUWAIT: Hard-liners held in the UAE accused of planning to topple the government were financed by Kuwaiti nationals, Kuwaiti media reported yesterday, lending support to UAE fears of an international plot against its rulers.
The UAE has detained more than 60 radicals in the past year who it says belong to the Muslim Brotherhood, a group founded in Egypt in 1928 and which is banned in the Gulf Arab state, and who it accuses of planning to establish an Islamic state and operating an armed wing.
The UAE has repeatedly said that the detainees were receiving financial support from individuals in other Gulf Arab states, but had stopped short of naming those countries.
Several newspapers quoted Kuwaiti parliamentarians as saying Prime Minister Sheikh Jaber Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah informed them at a confidential meeting held on Thursday that Kuwaiti nationals had been providing financial support to Muslim Brotherhood members in the UAE.
“Yes, there was financing coming from Kuwait,” Sheikh Jaber told the parliamentarians in the session, according to the Arabic-language daily Al-Watan.
Sheikh Jaber gave no further details, Al-Watan reported, adding only: “We can’t announce the names before they have been referred to the courts.”