Lankan convicted of practicing black magic

Updated 09 February 2013
0

Lankan convicted of practicing black magic

A Sri Lankan domestic worker was sentenced to one in year jail and 100 lashes following a conviction for practicing black magic among his friends in Riyadh.
Sri Lankan Embassy sources said the accused was Premanath Pereralage Thungasiri, who was working as a house driver in a Saudi home.
An embassy official, who had met Thungasiri in jail, said that Thungasiri had been booked by police in the Ummul Hammam district on charges of black magic and for violating local regulations by meeting an unknown woman, which is against Saudi law.
The arrest was made in May when Thungasiri had visited another Saudi’s house to resolve a dispute involving a housemaid there. He said the maid was his relative, and during the dispute police arrested him.
Thungasiri has a wife, daughter and son at home in Padiyatalawe, 200 kilometers from Colombo.
According to a jail official, Thungasiri will complete the one-year jail term this May.
Thungasiri’s name has been listed in the amnesty list and if the clemency is given early, there are chances for him to be deported home even before his scheduled release.
The Sri Lankan Embassy is yet to receive the copy of the official court verdict on Thungasiri’s judgment through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Prior to the verdict, Thungasiri said in a statement to the embassy that his Saudi sponsor had nothing to do with the case, and had surrendered his passport and other documents to prison authorities for his deportation.
Recently a Sri Lankan woman was arrested on suspicion of practicing witchcraft after she allegedly gazed at a child in a shopping complex while wearing a black cord around her wrist, the report said.
The organization accused the Sri Lanka Bureau of Foreign Employment of not educating Sri Lankan workers traveling to Saudi Arabia on the country’s religious laws.
The diplomat also stressed millions of foreign workers who come to the Kingdom for employment are expected to abide by the host country’s regulations.

 


‘Individuals responsible for Khashoggi's death were out of scope of their authority’, Saudi FM tells Fox News

Updated 21 October 2018
0

‘Individuals responsible for Khashoggi's death were out of scope of their authority’, Saudi FM tells Fox News

  • Al-Jubeir said "conflicting reports" about whether Khashoggi had left consulate in Istanbul prompted probe
  • Said Kingdom was working on finding out location of the body and determining full details

WASHINGTON: Saudi Arabia's Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir said on Sunday that King Salman is determined to hold to account those responsible in the case regarding the late journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

“The individuals did this out of the scope of their authority,” Jubeir told Fox News’ Bret Baierhe during an exclusive interview, adding that none of those involved in Khashoggi’s death had close ties to Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

“There were not people closely tied to him. This was an operation that was a rogue operation,” he said.

He added that conflicting reports about whether Khashoggi had left the Saudi Arabian consulate in Istanbul prompted a probe into his disappearance, and that Saudi Arabia will continue to put out information on the case "as it becomes available."

The Saudi foreign minister offered his condolences to the family of Khashoggi and said the death was a "tremendous mistake."

Al-Jubeir added that Saudi Arabia was working on finding out the location of Khashoggi’s body and determining the full details into what happened.

He told the news program that Saudi-US ties would "weather" the Khashoggi case.