Malawi floods kill three, displace thousands

Updated 11 January 2013
0

Malawi floods kill three, displace thousands

BLANTYRE, Malawi: Three people have died, and nearly 5,000 households have been ruined as floods swept through parts of Malawi, officials told AFP on Friday.
Heavy rains and strong winds brought deadly flooding the center and south of the African nation.
“As of yesterday, three people have died from the disasters,” said Gift Mafuleka, deputy director of the department of disaster management.
Mafuleka said the inhabitants of at least 4,929 households had been displaced.
One person was killed when their home collapsed and two others were washed away by flood waters.
The government has launched a relief effort to provide affected districts with food supplies, blankets and plastic sheeting.
It appealed for donations of basic items, particularly food.
“The government cannot do this alone,” said Mafuleka. “We are calling upon local donors to come and help with relief.”
“Food is most important to the victims as they have lost everything.”
The annual rains which accompany the southern hemisphere’s summer often spell misery for many in a country where homes are often built with mud and grass.
“Those displaced are being accommodated in churches and schools,” Anatazio Chibwana, a district commissioner for Phalombe said.
He said he feared that more people would be affected as the rains intensified on Friday.


US alarmed by Houthi strike on Turkish ship delivering wheat to Yemen

Updated 25 May 2018
0

US alarmed by Houthi strike on Turkish ship delivering wheat to Yemen

WASHINGTON: The United States said on Friday it was "alarmed" by a Houthi missile strike on a Turkish vessel carrying wheat to Yemen this month and urged the Shi'ite group to work with the United Nations to alleviate Yemenis suffering.
The Turkish-flagged Ince Inebolu bulk carrier was damaged by an explosion on May 10, 70 miles (110 km) off the Red Sea port of Salif where it was due to deliver a 50,000 ton cargo of Russian wheat.
The White House said in a statement the United States was alarmed by the strike and cited reports that the Houthis attempted another attack against an oil tanker in the Red Sea.
"This proves yet again that missile proliferation in Yemen is a real threat to all countries and underscores the need to fully enforce United Nations Security Council Resolution 2216" calling for an end to violence in Yemen.
"Areas under the Houthi control are suffering," the White House said. "The Houthis should engage meaningfully with the United Nations Special Envoy in order to provide a better future for all Yemenis."