Marine pleads guilty to Afghan corpse mutilation



THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published — Saturday 19 January 2013

Last update 19 January 2013 1:04 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

CAMP LEJEUNE, North Carolina: A Marine who pleaded guilty Wednesday to urinating on the corpse of a Taleban fighter in Afghanistan will likely be demoted one rank under a plea agreement, although a military judge called for a much harsher sentence.
Staff Sgt. Edward W. Deptola pleaded guilty to multiple charges at court-martial, including that of violating orders by desecrating remains and posing for photographs with the corpses; and dereliction of duty by failing to properly supervise junior Marines.
The judge, Lt. Col. Nicole Hudspeth, said she would have sentenced him to six months confinement, a $ 5,000 fine, demotion to private and a bad-conduct discharge. But she is bound by terms of the plea agreement the sergeant reached with military prosecutors. A general will review the sentence and could choose to lower it.
Deptola and another Marine based at Camp LeJeune were charged last year after a video surfaced showing four Marines in full combat gear urinating on the bodies of three Afghans in July 2011. In the video, one of the Marines looked down at the bodies and quipped, “Have a good day, buddy.”
Deptola was sergeant for a scout sniper platoon. Though he had been previously deployed overseas, he was on his only combat deployment at the time. The Southold, New York, native is married with two children, but military officials declined to give his age.
The sergeant admitted to the judge that he urinated on one of the three corpses and posed in the “trophy photographs.” He said he failed to supervise the Marines under him when the desecration began, even though he had been briefed that such behavior violated a Marine Corps general order.
“I was in a position to stop it and I did not. ... I should have spoken up on the spot,” he said.
When asked by the judge why he did it, Deptola replied, “I have no excuse, no reason, ma’am. ... It was not the correct way to handle a human casualty.”
The sergeant said that on the day the urination video was shot, the platoon had seen heavy action and had 11 confirmed kills, including the three Taleban men whose bodies were shown in the recording. Deptola said another sergeant in the platoon had been killed earlier that day by an IED, and the Marines believed the heavily armed Taleban fighters they killed could have been responsible for it.
Deptola’s Defense Attorney Maj. Tracey Holtshirley, called the case a “lynching” by the news media and general public for an isolated mistake by a well-regarded Marine. He argued Deptola had already been punished enough by the attention and being removed from his platoon. He said he should be demoted two ranks to corporal.
Other Marines involved have received lesser sentences. Staff Sgt. Joseph W. Chamblin pleaded guilty to similar charges last month. Under a deal reached before his court-martial, he lost $ 500 in pay and was reduced in rank to sergeant. Three other Marines were given administrative punishments for their roles.
The urination video surfaced on YouTube around the same time as other incidents that infuriated many Afghans. American troops were caught up in controversies over burning Muslim holy books, posing for photos with insurgents’ bloodied remains and an alleged massacre of 16 Afghan villagers by a soldier.
The Marine Corps said the urination took place during a counter-insurgency operation in the Musa Qala district of Helmand province, located in the south of the country.
The United States now has 66,000 troops in Afghanistan. The US and its NATO allies agreed in November 2010 that they would withdraw all their combat troops by the end of 2014, but they haven’t decided on the scope of future missions in the country and the size of any residual force remaining after that.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JOUF: A citizen in Jouf has become at 94 the oldest person to register for the Dec. 12 municipal council elections.The man, who was not named, arrived at the Zaloum election center accompanied by his 62-year-old son, an online publication reported on...
JEDDAH: The spike in cases of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus is worrying because of the upcoming annual pilgrimage, according to a top doctor.Hanan Balkhi, head of the Health Ministry’s national scientific committee of infect...
RIYADH: Senior Indian police and intelligence officials interrogated two Saudis after they were detained following their suspicious movement in Trichy, a southern city in India’s Tamil Nadu state. Officials detained the duo — Rasheed and Abdul Rahma...
MADINAH: Defective air conditioning units at Prince Mohammed bin Abdulaziz International Airport (PMIA) have left passengers sweltering amid the excessive afternoon heat. The travelers had to resort to using pieces of paper as fans to cool themselves...
RIYADH: The participation of Saudi women in the upcoming municipal council elections is set to ensure they take their rightful place in boosting social and economic development in the country.Many women have already begun registering as voters, and w...
JEDDAH: Only 7,034 Saudis have so far registered in Riyadh and the Eastern Province for the Dec. 12 municipal council elections, a local publication reported Wednesday.The elections, held for the third time in the Kingdom, are expected to attract a r...
JEDDAH: A total of 66,000 Nigerians will perform Haj this year, according to the National Haj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON).The first group of 300 pilgrims arrived Sunday, sources at the Nigerian embassy said. “The first flight that took off from th...
RIYADH: The Passports Department has announced that there will be heavy fines for people transporting Haj pilgrims without licenses.There would be fines of up to SR100,000, a two-year-prison sentence and deportation for anyone found harboring or prov...
RIYADH: The Public Education Evaluation Commission (PEEC) head said on Wednesday that private schools will undergo performance evaluation in the next two to three weeks by local specialists who have just finished their training under the organization...
JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia has announced that the country’s citizens are safe in Lebanon, but has joined Kuwait and Bahrain in issuing advisories warning its citizens not to travel there.Saudi Ambassador to Lebanon Ali Asiri said Tuesday that the embassy h...
RIYADH: Assistant Director General for Information and Communications Technology (ICT) at the Ministry of Health (MoH) Mansour Al-Suaidan has been selected by the Kent, Leonard, Adam and Scott (KLAS) as the only Arab advisory board member.“Mansour Al...
JEDDAH: The local Pakistani Journalists Forum (PJF), in cooperation with the Consulate General of Pakistan, celebrated the country’s 69th Independence Day, where children thrilled the audience with patriotic songs.Pakistan Consul General Aftab A. Kho...
JEDDAH: The Specialized Criminal Court in Riyadh has sentenced an Algerian expatriate to 18 months in jail for overstaying his Umrah visa. The court also found evidence that he tried cross the Saudi border to fight in Syria, a local publication repor...
JEDDAH: An official at the Ministry of Labor confirmed that ministry will launch an e-recruitment service via the Musaned website next week. The service will allow employers to apply for visas without the need to visit labor offices.Ahmad Al-Ghamdi,...
RIYADH: A new Saudi program on television called “Security of the Kingdom” will go on air on Tabah Channel starting on the first week of September, according to Dr. Mohsin Shaikh Al-Hassan, the program’s host.“The program is important and timely beca...

Stay Connected

Facebook