McIlroy keen to make history in Hong Kong Open



BERNIE McGUIRE | AP

Published — Wednesday 14 November 2012

Last update 14 November 2012 4:15 pm

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

HONG KONG: Only one golfer has successfully retained the Hong Kong Open title in 53 years. Rory McIlroy wants to be the second.
McIlroy holed a brilliant bunker shot on the last hole a year ago to win the title by two strokes, becoming the tournament’s youngest winner at 22 after being runner-up in 2008 and 2009.
He first competed in Hong Kong at 16, when he fell in love with the tiny islands off mainland China.
“I first came here as a junior in the Faldo Series and players like Oliver Fisher and myself and a few others stayed at the golf club at Fanling and it was great fun and I’ve always really enjoyed the golf course,” McIlroy said. “Then when it became a European Tour event I came back and stayed in the city on Hong Kong island and I’ve just really enjoyed the buzz and the atmosphere.
“It’s here also that I have had some great experiences as a player, taking part in one of the best playoffs ever against Lin Wen-tang in 2009 and then I was able to finally put my name on the Hong Kong Open trophy last year.
“I wasn’t feeling all that well on the Saturday and went into the final round three behind going into the last day but shot a 65 in holing a bunker shot at the last to beat Peter Hanson by two, so that was a nice way to finish it off.
“I would love to end my season by doing that again this year.”
Only Taiwan’s Hsieh Yung-yo has won the event two years in a row, in 1963-64.
McIlroy is assured of strong opposition in the form of 19-year-old Matteo Manassero, the new Singapore Open winner, who will play the opening two rounds with McIlroy.
“When I think of Rory, I think he has an impossible game to imitate,” the Italian teen said. “He is so good and he plays probably the best game in the world.”
While McIlroy has sealed the European Tour money title, others are keen to make the top 115 and secure automatic tour membership for next year.
Four players will come off the money list for not playing the minimum of 13 events, including Scotland’s Martin Laird who has played just 10, and the cutoff will be 119th.
Rhys Davies of Wales currently holds that position, and two former tour winners in compatriot Bradley Dredge (121st) and Australia’s Andrew Dodt (122nd) are within 1,911 euros ($2,400) of Davies.
Also, Portugal’s Ricardo Santos, this year’s winner of the Madeira Islands Open, is looking to seal the rookie of the year award.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: New steps being taken to increase the flow of foreign investments into Saudi Arabia this year have raised the expectations of the business community.A triple sectorial committee, including Saudi Arabian General Investment Authority (SAGIA), M...
MADINAH/JEDDAH: Pilgrims and visitors performing tawaf (circumambulation) of the Holy Kaaba or praying around it may look forward to relief from the blazing sun, as a proposal to shade the Mataf area is being studied.According to local media, the mat...
JEDDAH: Users of WhatsApp were a joyous lot on Saturday as the call facility finally became available on the popular messaging service in the Kingdom.The facility, which is for free now, through WhatsApp was earlier banned in Saudi Arabia and only me...
RIYADH: The man wanted in connection with the bombing on the Emergency Forces Mosque in Asir is a former pilot and had been convicted previously on security-related charges, according to the Interior Ministry.The ministry has announced a SR1 million...
TAIF: Terrorists can carry out reconnaissance missions in the guise of beggars, even wearing the abaya, and pose a serious threat to the security of the nation, an expert has warned.“Begging is a bad phenomenon anyway. However, it can pose a serious...
RIYADH: A Border Guard soldier died on Saturday in a missile attack from across the Yemeni border in Dhahran Al-Jonoub in Asir.The man, identified as Pvt. Abdulilah Abdullah Hamoud Al-Shahrani, was patrolling the border in the area when the attack to...
RIYADH: Custodian of Two Holy Mosques King Salman takes pride in his religion and his country, according to Prince Sultan bin Salman, Saudi Commission for Tourism and National Heritage (SCTH) chairman.“King Salman lives his life in a confident and re...
RIYADH: Justice Minister Walid Al-Samaani and Khaled Al-Muhaisin, the president of the National Anti-Corruption Commission (Nazaha), are scheduled to meet soon to clear resolve differences between Nazaha and Supreme Judicial Council (SJC). According...
JEDDAH: Starbucks has clarified that the ban on women’s entry at one of its Riyadh stores is only temporary and that the coffee shop will be opened to them soon after a separation wall is erected.Starbucks reportedly said that members of the Committe...
RIYADH: The Saudi government is strongly supporting the development of organic farming and institutional capacity building as part of an ambitious plan to expand the Kingdom’s shift toward organic agriculture, which will be good for the country’s nut...
RIYADH: An attempt to smuggle in 2.4 million amphetamine pills was foiled along the coast of Tabuk.An Interior Ministry spokesman said the traffickers fled from the coast after they were chased by Border Guard patrols.The spokesman said a suspect boa...
RIYADH: King Saud University (KSU) closed the booths of five companies which participated in the recently concluded five-day Career Week because of lack of interest in employing applicants.Career Week, held under the auspices of Custodian of Two Holy...
RIYADH: The Kingdom has been developing Oroug Bani Maradh as a protected area for eco-tourism in the heart of the Empty Quarter.Aside from a number of live flora and fauna, there’s are non-domesticated animal species in the wildlife sanctuary located...
JEDDAH: Two women and three children, including an infant, lost their lives in separate fire incidents on Friday.A woman and two children died when their tent caught fire at Al-Issawi, 35 km into the desert, on Friday. The operations room of Civil De...
RIYADH: Arrangements are being made at the Ministry of Health to open a new portal for the Zika virus on its website.Faisal Al-Zahrani, the ministry spokesman, said that the new portal will give adequate details and updates about the virus which has...

Stay Connected

Facebook