EU condemns Israel settler plans as threat to peace process

Updated 22 December 2012
0

EU condemns Israel settler plans as threat to peace process

BRUSSELS: The European Union said it “strongly opposed” the latest “extremely troubling” Israeli plans for more settler homes around Jerusalem which would only further undermine the peace process.
EU foreign affairs head Catherine Ashton said plans to build 2,610 houses in the Givat Hamatos settlement, along with the 1,500 in Ramat Shlomo announced in November, would effectively cut Bethlehem off from Jerusalem.
“I strongly oppose this unprecedented expansion of settlements around Jerusalem,” Ashton said in a statement early Thursday.
“The EU particularly opposes the implementation of plans which seriously undermine the prospects of a negotiated resolution of the conflict by jeopardizing the possibility of a contiguous and viable Palestinian state and of Jerusalem as the future capital of two states.
“In the light of its core objective of achieving the two-state solution, the EU will closely monitor the situation and its broader implications, and act accordingly,” she said.
Ashton called again for both sides to show the leadership required to get the peace process back on track.
Earlier, the United Nations and UN Security Council condemned Israel’s moves.
The United States, Israel’s close ally, did not join the public attack on Israel but slammed the “provocative” act during closed UN Security Council consultations.
Israel has approved thousands of new homes in the West Bank and occupied East Jerusalem since the UN General Assembly voted on November 29 to recognize Palestine as a non-member state.


Gaza tear gas baby left off official death count

Updated 3 min 40 sec ago
0

Gaza tear gas baby left off official death count

GAZA CITY: A baby who died near the Gaza border was not included in a Gaza health ministry list of Palestinians killed by the Israel army, after a dispute over how she died.
The ministry and family members originally said 8-month-old Leila Al-Ghandour had died after inhaling tear gas along the border during a day of clashes in which at least 61 Palestinians were killed by Israeli fire.
The Israeli army disputed the claim, calling it “fake news” by Hamas, the movement that rules the coastal enclave.
The army claimed she had a pre-existing medical condition, citing an unnamed doctor with access to her file.
A full list of those the ministry called “martyrs,” published this week for the first time, did not include Ghandour.
The health ministry has said a full review of her death was underway.
Ashraf Al-Qudra, a spokesman for the ministry, said her name would not be included until the review was completed, without giving a time frame.
“Her name was not included in earlier lists either,” Qudra told AFP, though no exhaustive list had previously been made public.
“The investigation will determine (whether she had a pre-existing condition) and if the inhaled gas contributed to her death.”
At least 61 Palestinians were killed by Israeli fire on May 14th when thousands of Palestinians protested as the US officially moved its embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, according to the ministry’s figures.
At least 114 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire in the Gaza Strip since mass demonstrations broke out on March 30th, it said.
This was several lower than previous tolls compiled by AFP on the basis of the ministry’s reports.
The ministry’s list does not include those whose bodies were not recovered by Palestinian medics.
The Israeli army is believed to have kept the bodies of several people shot near or along the border.
The army did not immediately respond to questions about the number of bodies it may be holding.