Iran: Nuclear talks end on positive note



THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published — Thursday 28 February 2013

Last update 28 February 2013 5:43 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

ALMATY, Kazakhstan: Negotiations with world powers over how to curb Iran’s nuclear program have reached a “turning point” for the better after nearly breaking down last year, the Islamic republic’s top official at diplomatic talks said yesterday.
While still guardedly optimistic, the comments by Saeed Jalili, the secretary for Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, marked a significant step forward.
The Obama administration is pushing for diplomacy to end the deadlock but has not ruled out the possibility of military intervention in Iran to prevent it from acquiring a nuclear weapon.
Jalili said a new offer this week by the world powers to compromise is more realistic than what has been offered in the past. He described the new offer — including some relief from international sanctions — as a step to build confidence between the two sides after similar negotiations in Moscow were nearly derailed last June.
“In this round of talks we have witnessed that despite all the attitudes during the last eight months, they tried to get closer to our viewpoints,” Jalili told reporters at the close of two days of talks in Kazakhstan’s largest city. “We believe this is a turning point.”
Jalili did not detail what the sanctions relief might include, or what Iran was willing to do to in exchange.
But he would not budge on Iran’s longtime instance, and a main sticking point in the talks, that it has the right to enrich uranium to 20 percent — a point that is just steps away from being able to be converted into nuclear warheads.
“Whatever we need, we will of course pursue that — whether it is 5 percent or 20 percent,” Jalili said. “It is important to us to have the 20 percent.”
EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, who is leading the negotiations, refused to discuss what the potential deal included.
“I hope the Iranians are looking positively on the proposals we put forward,” Ashton said. “I believe in looking at what the results are.”
“We’ll have to see what happens next,” Ashton said. “But we approach this with the absolutely united view that we need to see the progress necessary for the confidence the international community needs.”

Technical experts for each side will meet in Istanbul in mid-March to discuss the world powers’ offer and the high-level diplomats will re-convene again April 5 in Almaty.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

SYDNEY: Amnesty International has demanded that Mustafa Al-Hosawi, a Saudi prisoner at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, be treated for the torture he underwent at the hands of the CIA.The US branch of the organization sent a message to health officials at the...
JEDDAH: The city’s airport staff saved a 20-year-old woman who tried to throw herself from the upper floor to the mezzanine floor in the southern hall. Sources said the suicide attempt was due to family disputes. Administrators said a supervisor in t...
RIYADH: Education Minister Ahmad Al-Issa has ordered to gradually close down private night schools beginning from the current year. The closure of these schools will be complete by 1439H.Al-Issa’s decision is based on reports of a body, which highlig...
RIYADH: A cross-section of Saudi society on Friday denounced the Jazan massacre that shook the nation on Thursday, when a gunman went on the rampage killing seven education officials and injuring several others in Al-Dair governorate.The culprit, ide...
JEDDAH: Maj. Gen. Awad Al-Balawi, head of the Saudi Border Guard, recently confirmed the expansion of the employment program for women within the border security sector. He said that the sector is entering a new phase as women will be employed in a n...
RIYADH: A medical team of the King Abdullah Specialist Children’s Hospital (KASCH) at the King Abdulaziz Medical City (National Guard) here have successfully conducted the first liver transplant on a baby boy. Fahad Mari Said Al-Sairdh, father of the...
JEDDAH: The Makkah Investigation and Prosecution Board reintroduced the crane crash incident to the Riyadh Investigation and Prosecution Board recently, adding 10 more employees and supervisors from different government agencies before the courts. Th...
JEDDAH: The teacher who gunned down seven education officials in Al-Dair governorate on Thursday had been showing behavioral problems in recent days, Al-Janob Misfer Al-Subhan, director of King Faisal Secondary School in Dharan, was quoted as saying...
JEDDAH: The Human Rights Commission (HRC) is investigating the Nakheel Mall case, in which a girl was beaten up by a group of Haia members, an official of the commission has said. “The HRC is supposed to guarantee the rights of those harmed, whoever...
AL-AHSA: King Faisal University (KFU) in Al-Ahsa is currently studying the possibility of admitting female students to specialize in veterinary medicine, the director of the university, Dr. Abdulaziz Al-Saati, confirmed. He said the matter has been p...
JEDDAH: A fingerprinting campaign, titled “Imprint Homeland,” against extremism and terrorism, was launched at the Jeddah corniche on Thursday night. The drive will cover all the 17 regions of Makkah province.The campaign, initiated by the Makkah gov...
RIYADH: The number of unemployed Saudi nationals reached 647,000 by the end of last year, of whom 56 percent, or 363,800, hold bachelor’s degrees or licenses. Female bachelor’s degree and license holders accounted for three-fourths of unemployed Saud...
RIYADH: Four citizens have been arrested in two murder cases, one of which was a road rage. One of the suspects resisted arrest and even opened fire on the police, but no one was injured.According to the Riyadh police, a clinic informed them that it...
MAKKAH: Thirty percent of male middle school students and 23 percent of female students take some form of drugs, a recent scientific study from the National Center for Youth Research confirmed. The study shows drug consumption rates among students in...
RIYADH: Several government departments participating in a campaign to fight breast cancer in the Eastern Province will offer their recommendations to the Ministry of the Interior to include breast cancer checks for women aged 40 and above as part of...

Stay Connected

Facebook