SNC: US undermining revolution



Published — Saturday 3 November 2012

Last update 3 November 2012 5:25 pm

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

BEIRUT: Syrian main exiled opposition group yesterday accused Washington of undermining the country’s revolution by seeking to overhaul how regime opponents are organized.
Two days ahead of key opposition talks due in Qatar, the Syrian National Council lashed out at US criticism of the group for not being fully representative of Syria’s diverse dissident groups.
“Any discussions aimed at passing over the Syrian National Council or at creating new bodies to replace it are an attempt to undermine the Syrian revolution by sowing the seeds of division,” the SNC said in a statement.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton voiced frustration with the SNC this week, calling for a new more expansive opposition that would include more activists from inside Syria.
“There has to be a representation of those who are on the front line fighting and dying today to obtain their freedom,” Clinton said during a tour of the Balkans, insisting the SNC “can no longer be viewed as the visible leader of the opposition.”
Talk of an overhaul “is a sign of a lack of seriousness of the forces meant to support the Syrian people who are facing the murderous regime” of President Bashar Assad, the SNC said.
Reacting to accusations it is not inclusive, the group said it had grown from 280 to 420 members, that a third of its members are on-the-ground activists and that 15 percent of its members are women.
The SNC said on Thursday it had received $ 40.4 million (31.1 million euros) in international aid since it was set up a year ago, half of which came from Libya and the rest mainly from Qatar and the UAE.
Syrian fighters have taken full control of a strategic crossroads in the northwest that further limits the government’s ability to reinforce its troops in second city Aleppo, a watchdog said yesterday.
Rebel fighters forced troops to pull back from their last position in the Saraqeb area where the main highways to Aleppo from Damascus and from the Mediterranean coast meet, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
The rebels now control an area extending 25 km in all directions from the town, the Britain-based watchdog said.
“The army has withdrawn from its last checkpoint in the Saraqeb area,” Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman said.
The family of a freelance journalist who disappeared while covering the war in Syria plans to travel to Beirut to work for his release.
Austin Tice’s father, Marc Tice, said in a statement the family plans to travel to Beirut “soon.”
The 31-year-old former Marine went missing in August. He had been one of a few journalists to report from Damascus. Marc Tice says his last contact with his son was on Aug. 12.
A video clip posted online in early October showed Tice alive and being held by gunmen. It has been the only sign of Tice since his disappearance.
Meanwhile, a Turkish village lives in constant fear of Syrian war. Sixteen-year-old Nazire was out in the fields, sitting under a tree when the shooting started. Bullets whizzed past her face and she was terrified. “If I had moved my head, I would have been shot and then nothing would have happened because they’re Syrian soldiers and I’m just a villager,” said the teenager in her pink trousers and flowered head scarf, in Turkey’s southwestern village of Ovecci Koyu.
“We were so afraid. There were very little children and even babies with us. We rushed back so quickly, we left our shoes behind,” she said, standing in her mother’s sitting room with a view straight across the border to Syria.
Residents say they live in fear from airstrikes, shooting and shelling as rebels step up their nearly two-year battle against the regime of President Bashar Assad in northern Syria.
Turkey has systematically retaliated against shelling and fallen out with Assad, sparking fears in the village that things can only get worse.
When the bombardment starts, soldiers and the mosque advise residents to flee their homes, which could become targets, and shelter underground or behind walls.
Nazire’s mother, Ilhan Doyman, says that the entire family lives in fear.
“It’s very bad. Day and night we think about the fighting and we don’t feel secure here. We can hear bombing and we can hear the sound of the planes so we can’t sleep,” she said in the street outside her home.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

SYDNEY: Amnesty International has demanded that Mustafa Al-Hosawi, a Saudi prisoner at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, be treated for the torture he underwent at the hands of the CIA.The US branch of the organization sent a message to health officials at the...
JEDDAH: The city’s airport staff saved a 20-year-old woman who tried to throw herself from the upper floor to the mezzanine floor in the southern hall. Sources said the suicide attempt was due to family disputes. Administrators said a supervisor in t...
RIYADH: Education Minister Ahmad Al-Issa has ordered to gradually close down private night schools beginning from the current year. The closure of these schools will be complete by 1439H.Al-Issa’s decision is based on reports of a body, which highlig...
RIYADH: A cross-section of Saudi society on Friday denounced the Jazan massacre that shook the nation on Thursday, when a gunman went on the rampage killing seven education officials and injuring several others in Al-Dair governorate.The culprit, ide...
JEDDAH: Maj. Gen. Awad Al-Balawi, head of the Saudi Border Guard, recently confirmed the expansion of the employment program for women within the border security sector. He said that the sector is entering a new phase as women will be employed in a n...
RIYADH: A medical team of the King Abdullah Specialist Children’s Hospital (KASCH) at the King Abdulaziz Medical City (National Guard) here have successfully conducted the first liver transplant on a baby boy. Fahad Mari Said Al-Sairdh, father of the...
JEDDAH: The Makkah Investigation and Prosecution Board reintroduced the crane crash incident to the Riyadh Investigation and Prosecution Board recently, adding 10 more employees and supervisors from different government agencies before the courts. Th...
JEDDAH: The teacher who gunned down seven education officials in Al-Dair governorate on Thursday had been showing behavioral problems in recent days, Al-Janob Misfer Al-Subhan, director of King Faisal Secondary School in Dharan, was quoted as saying...
JEDDAH: The Human Rights Commission (HRC) is investigating the Nakheel Mall case, in which a girl was beaten up by a group of Haia members, an official of the commission has said. “The HRC is supposed to guarantee the rights of those harmed, whoever...
AL-AHSA: King Faisal University (KFU) in Al-Ahsa is currently studying the possibility of admitting female students to specialize in veterinary medicine, the director of the university, Dr. Abdulaziz Al-Saati, confirmed. He said the matter has been p...
JEDDAH: A fingerprinting campaign, titled “Imprint Homeland,” against extremism and terrorism, was launched at the Jeddah corniche on Thursday night. The drive will cover all the 17 regions of Makkah province.The campaign, initiated by the Makkah gov...
RIYADH: The number of unemployed Saudi nationals reached 647,000 by the end of last year, of whom 56 percent, or 363,800, hold bachelor’s degrees or licenses. Female bachelor’s degree and license holders accounted for three-fourths of unemployed Saud...
RIYADH: Four citizens have been arrested in two murder cases, one of which was a road rage. One of the suspects resisted arrest and even opened fire on the police, but no one was injured.According to the Riyadh police, a clinic informed them that it...
MAKKAH: Thirty percent of male middle school students and 23 percent of female students take some form of drugs, a recent scientific study from the National Center for Youth Research confirmed. The study shows drug consumption rates among students in...
RIYADH: Several government departments participating in a campaign to fight breast cancer in the Eastern Province will offer their recommendations to the Ministry of the Interior to include breast cancer checks for women aged 40 and above as part of...

Stay Connected

Facebook