New Israeli strikes push Gaza death toll to 42



Agence France Presse

Published — Sunday 18 November 2012

Last update 18 November 2012 1:33 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

GAZA CITY, Palestinian Territories: Two Palestinians were killed in a new Israeli air strike on central Gaza Saturday, raising the death toll from 72 hours of raids to 42, the emergency services in the territory said.
In a statement, the emergency services announced two deaths in the strike on Deir Al-Balah, which came as Israeli aircraft carried out new sorties across the territory, including in Gaza City and Rafah.
At least four people were injured in the strike in Deir Al-Balah, which followed multiple strikes during the day that killed 10 Palestinians, eight of them militants.
The statement added that at least two Palestinians were in critical condition after an air strike on their car in the Zeitun neighborhood of Gaza City, adding that another two were also in serious condition after a strike on a motorbike in Khan Yunis, in central Gaza.
There were no immediate details on the identities of those targeted in the latest strikes.
Nine Israelis including four soldiers were hurt by rocket fire, medics said.
The bloodshed raised to 42 the total number of Palestinians killed in just over 72 hours of Israeli air strikes, while another 393 were injured, Gaza’s emergency services said.
Over the same period, three Israelis have been killed by rockets and another 18 injured, 10 of them soldiers, police and the army said.
Earlier attacks on Rafah killed five people — an ambulance worker called Awad Nahal and four Hamas militants.
One of the militants was named as Mukhlis Adwan, but the identities of the other three were not immediately available.
Another three people — all Hamas militants — were killed in a strike on Maghazi refugee camp in central Gaza, with security sources naming them as Ali Manameh, Hossam Abdel Jawad and Assaf Gharwish.
Palestinian medics said another man, an Islamic Jihad militant wounded in a strike on Zeitun in Gaza City earlier in the day, died of his injuries. They named him as Mohammed Yassin, 24.
Meanwhile in Israel, nine people were injured by rocket fire on Saturday.
Four were soldiers who sustained light injuries, the army said, with military sources saying they were “inside a building” at the time.
The military said the incident occurred in the Eshkol regional council area, and Hamas militants claimed the attack, saying they had fired five mortar rounds at a “position” in Reim some eight kilometers (five miles) from central Gaza.
During the afternoon, another five Israelis were lightly injured when four rockets hit the southern coastal town of Ashdod, scoring direct hits on a block of flats and a vehicle, the police and army said.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: Labor Minister Mufrej Al-Haqabani has launched a series of electronic projects and facilities provided to the private sector companies, the SPA reported on Sunday.The projects and facilities include electronic visa issuance for the distinguis...
RIYADH: A high-powered team of officials from the Ministry of Health visited the hospitals in Jazan in the southern border to ensure services are in place to serve the patients in the region.The group of officials, comprising Dr. Nahar Al-Azmi, Dr. T...
YANBU: Like many Saudi women, Amani dreamt of becoming a mother, but was unable to have children of her own after many years of marriage. Therefore, she decided to spend her time taking care of orphans with special circumstances in Makkah.However, th...
RIYADH: A total of 43 warehouses were shut down in Jeddah for failing to take safety and health measures.Officials of the general department of Civil Defense in Jeddah carried out inspection at 165 industrial complexes in the industrial zone recently...
JEDDAH: A quarrel between two girls at the Al-Zahour Orphanage in Makkah took a violent turn recently, with one of them reportedly using a sharp instrument to attack the other and injuring her.The attacker was sent to a correction center, while the i...
RIYADH: A woman and three men died on Sunday after contracting the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) in Riyadh, bringing the total number of deaths to 507 since June, 2012.According to the latest report issued by the Ministry of...

Stay Connected

Facebook