New judge appointed in Fort Hood shooting case



AP

Published — Thursday 6 December 2012

Last update 6 December 2012 2:04 am

| نسخة PDF Print News | A A

FORT HOOD, Texas: The Army’s highest legal branch appointed a new judge to preside over the case of the Fort Hood shooting suspect, indicating the court-martial is on track to move forward after lengthy delays.
US Army Col. Tara Osborn was named Tuesday to head the case of Maj. Nidal Hasan, who faces the death penalty if convicted in the 2009 shootings that killed 13 and wounded more than two dozen on the Texas Army post.
The US Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces on Monday ousted the previous judge, Col. Gregory Gross, saying he appeared biased against Hasan. The court also tossed out Gross’ order to have Hasan’s beard forcibly shaved before his court-martial, though it didn’t rule on whether the order violated his religious rights as he claimed.
While in custody this spring, Hasan started growing a beard that he says is an expression of his Islamic faith. Gross had sided with prosecutors who say the beard violates Army grooming standards and could confuse witnesses.
The ruling Monday by the military’s highest court said the command, not a judge, is responsible for enforcing grooming standards, which means another judge isn’t likely to order Hasan to shave, some military law experts said.
“This ruling will have a chilling effect on the future judge because he or she ... will not pursue this beard issue any longer, and the appeals court still hasn’t answered the key question of whether Hasan has to comply with military regulations and shave like every other military officer,” said Jeff Addicott, director of the Center for Terrorism Law at St. Mary’s University School of Law in San Antonio.
The retired military attorney is not involved in Hasan’s case. “But on the flip side, the jury is going to see him in a full beard and may think he is motivated by radical Islamic beliefs. That’s what prosecutors and the judge (Gross) were trying to prevent.”
The case had been on hold since Hasan appealed Gross’ order a few days before the trial was to start in August. Gross previously delayed Hasan’s trial from March to June and then to August.
Army spokesman Maj. S. Justin Platt said he didn’t know when Osborn would arrive at Fort Hood. It’s unclear when hearings in the case will resume.

What's happening around Saudi Arabia

The Kingdom has shared very friendly relations with the United States since the beginning of bilateral ties in the 1930s when full diplomatic relations were established. Despite all the ups and downs in recent years on certain policies, especially on...
AL-NAIRIYA: Women in Al-Nairiya governorate have called on the government to only allow gender-based voting because they believe this would allow women to get places on the new municipal councils.Nouf Al-Otaibi, a businesswoman in the area, said men...
RIYADH: Women in Saudi Arabia have been allocated a package of services to ensure their development and employment, Labor Minister Mufrej Al-Haqabani said Tuesday.The minister was speaking at the first panel discussion at the second National Business...
JEDDAH: Security authorities in Turaif in the Northern Border Province have arrested a young man in his 20s for killing his parents and wounding his siblings at their house on Wednesday.The arrested man reportedly used a sharp object to kill his pare...
The Date and Palm Festival, organized by the Royal Commission for Jubail (RCJ) at the Al-Fanateer waterfront in Jubail Industrial City, has received more than 90,000 visitors since its launch last Thursday.In addition, on Sunday the event received mo...
JEDDAH: Over two million animals would be available for slaughter this Haj season, according to the Jeddah Chamber of Commerce and Industry (JCCI).Suleiman Al-Jabri, chairman of the JCCI’s livestock traders committee, said that more than 1 million sh...

Stay Connected

Facebook