Car bomb kills 10 in Mogadishu

1 / 2
2 / 2
Updated 19 March 2013
0

Car bomb kills 10 in Mogadishu

MOGADISHU: A suicide car bomber killed at least 10 people yesterday in the worst attack in the Somali capital this year when he tried to kill Mogadishu’s security chief near the presidential palace, police and rebels said.
Al-Qaeda-linked group Al-Shabab said it carried out the attack along Maka Al-Mukarram road that runs between the palace and the national theater, a route lined by tearooms that were engulfed in fire from the blast.
A public minibus driving along the road burst into flames, when the suicide bomber set off explosives packed into his car in an attempt to kill Khalif Ahmed Ilig, the Mogadishu security chief, police and the rebels said.
Ambulance sirens wailed through the city’s congested streets and a Reuters witness at the scene saw pools of blood on the ground. Residents joined in the rescue operations, pulling victims from the tea-houses and the minibus.
Police said seven civilians, three government security officers, and the bomber died in the blast that brought part of the city to a standstill. At least seven others were injured.
“The suicide car bomber targeted a senior national security officer whose car was passing near the theater,” senior police officer Abdiqadir Mohamud told Reuters, adding that the official had been injured.
“Most of the people who died were on board the minibus — civilians. This public vehicle coincidentally came between the government car and the car bomb when it was hit. Littered at the scene are human hands and flesh.”
The explosion could be heard several kilometers away in Mogadishu’s central business district. Al-Shabab spokesman Sheikh Ali Mohamud Rage said the group was behind the attack. “A car bomb by a mujahid targeted Khalif, the Mogadishu national security chief. He is seriously injured,” Rage, told Reuters. “Many of his body guards and other security officials died and many others were wounded. It was revenge.”
On Sunday, Al-Shabab fighters regained control of Hudur, the capital of Bakool province near the Ethiopian border, after Ethiopian troops who have been part of an African offensive against the militants withdrew from the dusty town.


Six militants, two soldiers killed in NW Pakistan gunfight — military

Updated 56 min 6 sec ago
0

Six militants, two soldiers killed in NW Pakistan gunfight — military

  • The clash took place in South Waziristan after security forces were tipped off about the presence of militants who had entered the area pretending to be returning displaced locals, a military statement said
  • Six militants and two soldiers were killed in the fighting, including Nanakar, who was wanted for several murders of local elders and tribesmen

MIRANSHAH, Pakistan: Six militants and two soldiers were killed on Saturday during a fierce gunfight in a northwestern Pakistani tribal district bordering Afghanistan, military and local security officials said.
The clash took place in South Waziristan’s Spina Mela village after security forces were tipped off about the presence of militants who had entered the area pretending to be returning displaced locals, a military statement said.
Six militants and two soldiers were killed in the fighting, including a most wanted militant called Nanakar, the statement added.
Nanakar, who goes by one name, was wanted for several murders of local elders and tribesmen.
The troops also seized weapons, ammunition and devices through which militants were in communication with handlers across the border in Afghanistan, the military said.
Two local security officials in Miranshah, the main town of neighboring North Waziristan, confirmed the clash and casualties to AFP.
The US has repeatedly accused Pakistan of allowing the tribal areas to harbor militants fighting in Afghanistan — an allegation Islamabad has consistently denied.